In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1huracán masculinea category 4 hurricane — un huracán de categoría 4
- Planned as temporary refuge from the hurricane and flood waters, they became sites of official neglect.
- This book shows the tracks of all the hurricanes and tropical storms recorded over more than a century.
- The hurricane caused a surge of water that flooded large areas of the historic city center.
- Tonight so many victims of the hurricane and the flood are far from home and friends and familiar things.
- The main post office here in New Orleans flooded right after the hurricane.
- The strongest part of a hurricane is the eye wall, on the edge of the calm center.
- First, wind and water erode it, especially during tropical storms and hurricanes.
- The hurricane has claimed 65 lives with winds gusting up to 155 mph but Jamaica missed the worst of it.
- The season is barely two full days old and we've already had nine advisories, although as yet no tropical storms or hurricanes.
- From hurricanes to floods to unbearable heat, 2005 was one for the record weather books.
- Severe tropical cyclones correspond to the hurricanes or typhoons of other parts of the world.
- We see this a lot during tropical storms and hurricanes off the Florida coast.
- In fact, tropical storms or hurricanes have ended many droughts in Texas, and other parts of the world.
- There is chaos around you, caused by a hurricane and severe floods.
- There was little structural damage, but the hurricane downed trees and blew roofs off of some bungalows.
- Thousands of people displaced by the hurricane are forced to find new homes in new cities and states.
- Gray expects at least three named tropical storms and two hurricanes this month.
- About 1,100 oil platforms were exposed to the full force of the hurricane.
- The last big storm here was in 1993, and it wasn't even a hurricane or a tropical storm.
- With a hurricane and a tropical storm moving in, the State of Florida is bracing for a beating.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.