In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1super secreto informal
- We have a great theme going, but I can't post it on the blog, cos everything has to be hush-hush till the last moment.
- The top-secret project was so hush-hush they were barred from even taking photographs.
- We didn't know where we were going to, it was very hush-hush.
- Negotiations are underway with the province about new powers for the city, but it is being kept so hush-hush, one can only assume another opportunity is being missed.
- I put the photos away and I conduct a very hush-hush surveillance.
- ‘It's such a hush-hush situation that only involves family members most of the time, so victims don't feel they can get help,’ she said.
- The subjects of hush-hush all-girls' conversations were now discussed in the open.
- The hush-hush epic will be screened this autumn.
- A lot of the game world is top secret and hush-hush.
- You may see a slight hush-hush raise in taxes and perhaps a slight improvement in some social services but probably not the ones you'll actually use.
- ‘There was nothing written down, nothing traceable,’ one source close to the hush-hush negotiations explained last night.
- It gives them a real lift and we had to keep it a bit hush-hush to stop the entire hospital coming down here.
- Of course it was all kept hush-hush, because we did not want to tell the Germans they had had a success.
- Main is also working on a hush-hush project involving a Scottish-based online games business and a couple of high-profile sports journalists.
- Adoption is no longer a hush-hush affair and there are even those who are willing to consider it an alternative to biological parenthood.
- Yeah, I'm working on something, but right now I've got to keep it hush-hush.
- The big name acts are pretty hush-hush at the moment, but the line-up is guaranteed to read like the who's who of Aussie music.
- ‘There are a few people who are interested, but it's all hush-hush,’ one said this week.
- She lost 25 pounds, but was able somehow to keep her illness hush-hush from almost everyone, including her three sons.
- Now, these were supposed to be very hush-hush talks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.