In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This catalyst is responsible for converting carbon monoxide and the other hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.
- Derived chiefly from petroleum and coal tar, aromatic hydrocarbons tend to be reactive.
- Biodiesel reduces emissions such as carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter.
- Nitrogen oxides can react with hydrocarbons to yield nitric acid, a primary ingredient in acid rain.
- The squad checks the autorickshaw for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.