- Sometimes, the large head size reflects hydrocephalus (excess fluid in the brain) and requires surgery.
- Neuroimaging may diagnose vascular disease, normal pressure hydrocephalus, tumors, abscess, or subdural hematoma.
- About 90 percent of children with the most severe form of spina bifida develop hydrocephalus, or fluid on the brain.
- Patients with neurologic diseases such as hydrocephalus and meningitis may also present with persistent vomiting.
- These conditions include stroke, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, epilepsy, hydrocephalus and many other conditions.