- That opened a period of intense growth in scientific knowledge in the area of steamship mechanics, shipbuilding, hydrography and shipboard artillery.
- He said: ‘I am very conscious of the excellent leadership of the nation's hydrography by my predecessors.’
- He was the founder of modern oceanography and hydrography.
- His work was both of a military and of a scientific nature, often combining these two aspects in his work on hydrography and cartography.
- Samples were grouped in several distinct clusters that were generally consistent with the hydrography of the area.