In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Whether Alice actually wanted to put a hospital in the casino or the claim is merely gossipy hyperbole is unclear.
- Real tragedies do not need hyperbole, for they are intrinsically hyperbolic.
- It is impossible to create a responsible ethical and policy debate in a climate of hyperbole.
- Having said that let us not get carried away in hyperbole and rhetoric.
- He should then appreciate the fine line between Churchillian rhetoric and hyperbole.
- They generally strike me as hyperbole that works to insult but not really to enlighten.
- In any other case this might sound like directorial hyperbole, but Lloyd has reason to be confident.
- According to the narrator, fierce would be hyperbole for even the bravest of hobbits.
- We see this in the recurrence of his favourite rhetorical figures of paradox and hyperbole.
- He's using exaggeration and hyperbole to be entertaining - lots of writers do that.
- Similarly, claims about the potential of the Internet are usually overstated and often hyperbole.
- In a literary world filled with emotionalism and hyperbole, there are a few guiding stars.
- In return I can offer you glory, fame and a hatful of hyperbole.
- But this exclamation is hyperbole; we are not speaking in literal seriousness.
- Behind every food scare, there is a barrage of claims and counter-claims, hyperbole and damage limitation.
- Chandler's similes and sarcastic hyperboles are full of attitude in the contemporary New York sense.
- It's safe to say that hyperbole is the stuff of both poetry and protest movements.
- Pack up the breathless hyperbole and just point us in the direction of better gear.
- The instances are inconspicuous, but do make for a slight forcing of the effect towards hyperbole.
- Such hyperbole deadens the sensitivity to moral distinctions in public discourse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.