In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The second section of the poem, the last four lines, alternate between iambic tetrameter and pentameter.
- An Admonition of Warning to England comprises twenty-four rhyming couplets in alternating lines of iambic hexameter and heptameter.
- Here is how Arthur Golding rendered the scene, in iambic heptameter couplets, about the time Shakespeare was born.
- That particular line-length is easy to swallow, while its iambic rocking gives a steady rhythmical pleasure to listeners.
- The Cautionary Tales are in iambic octosyllabic couplets and can run to fifty lines or so.
- He kept the iambic blank verse form but relieved it entirely of its poetic burden.
- Both poems tend strongly toward an iambic rhythm.
- Even students with a strong background in form tend to be familiar only with iambic meter.
- This probably refers to the anapaestic and iambic chants which accompanied armed dances and processions at certain Spartan festivals.
- In this year he sits down to compose 23 farewell letters to his friends, each set into conversational iambic hexameter.
- If you want to run all your editorials in purple or run the type sideways, or give voice to all your opinions in iambic hexameter, knock yourself out.
- I have also used iambic tetrameter, a rhyme scheme that appears frequently in songs and uses four iambic feet.
- In poetic terms I used to step out a good iambic metre, lively and heroic.
- Iambic verse he thought potentially monotonous.
- The central theme of iambic poetry was traditionally invective, that is personal attack, mockery, and satire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.