In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1casquete glaciar masculinecasquete de hielo masculinethe polar ice cap — el casquete polar
- Dominated by low-growing vegetation, tundra is a habitat that extends from the polar ice cap south to the boreal forest.
- The international team set out from Hercules inlet on the edge of the Antarctic ice cap at the beginning of December.
- The dislodging of a large portion of the ice cap could raise the sea level by meters to tens of meters over the following several years.
- Mawson looked spectacular with the mountain ranges popping out of the ice cap behind the station.
- The volume of the ice cap covering the Arctic Ocean has shrunk by more than 40 per cent over the last 35 years.
- Another piece of contrary evidence was the timing of the Antarctic ice cap's formation.
- Other images in the new series show planetwide dust storms and the springtime retreat of the south polar ice cap.
- The Antarctic ice cap began to form much later than the valleys did, about 34 million years ago.
- Hey, this guy was cold for about a week at the beginning of the season, and now the polar ice cap is receding because of him.
- They have a few minutes to decide whether to continue to the ice cap or turn around and fly back to New Zealand.
- Much of the island's interior lies beneath a vast ice cap that in some places is up to 9,800 feet thick.
- Nearly 77% of the freshwater on earth is frozen in the Antarctic ice cap and Greenland.
- This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.
- The southern hemisphere is dominated by a polar ice cap, probably composed of nitrogen.
- Similarly, polar ice cap melting will raise ocean levels, alter weather patterns and small island nations will vanish under the sea.
- The low-pressure system results in white fluffy snow, which appears as a very bright region over the ice cap.
- It came from the Taylor Glacier, an enormous river of ice flowing off the polar ice cap into Antarctica's Taylor Valley.
- She was able to tell us that we found a strange creature, aged millions of years, in the Polar ice cap.
- It turned out, however, that the ocean bottom was not so much the lost world that they sought, but rather a lake under an ice cap.
- The ice cap is melting, the polar bears are doomed, Australia is looking at a year-round bushfire season, and still they drive on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.