In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1banca de hielo femininecampo de hielo masculinebanquisa feminine
- Early in the season, you may have to ford streams that are swollen from melting snow or cross ice fields up high.
- Within 60 years, we can predict a very significant reduction in the volume of high-altitude ice fields.
- What had looked like another cloud bank sailing in high from the west turned out to be the ice fields of the Coast Range.
- On the other side is an ice field the size of Rhode Island.
- The rescue steamer proceeded cautiously through the ice field.
- Long lines of caribou headed down from the low hills, crossed the stream in front of us, and started over the ice field.
- The rolling outwash plain here was formed by meltwater from glacial ice fields to the north.
- Fairbanks, Alaska, is frigid and dark four months a year, separated from ‘the world’ by 2,300 miles - mostly wilderness and ice fields.
- The ice field that carved south-eastern Alaska's Inner Passage withdrew after the last Ice Age, but only as far as the outskirts of town.
- The scenery is superb as we trek through breathtaking ice fields, shimmering turquoise lakes and incredible towering forests.
- An unusually cold season had brought the ice fields off the coast of Antarctica farther out than ever previously recorded.
- The five prisoners were marched through a hilly land speckled with small bushes and streams running from the northern ice fields.
- The recommended harp seal quota for the Western ice fields (Jan Mayen area) has also been increased, from 13,100 to 17,500.
- While he regularly painted outdoors - even on frozen ice fields - Kent also photographed scenes that appealed to him.
- If you're carrying a cell phone, you'll think ‘I can cross that ice field, because if something goes wrong I'll just make a call.’
- Three main types of glacier are constrained by topography: the ice fields, valley glaciers, and cirque glaciers.
- It is as if the great ice field had finally run out of energy when it reached the immovable mass of the Paine massif.
- It was a good challenge to try to get here from the ice fields though.
- Besides preserving the occasional frozen mummy, glaciers and ice fields contain evidence of the climates of long ago.
- The views from these heights are simply stunning, with glacial ice fields and granite peaks as far as the eye can see.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.