In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Water lapped at the edge of the ice-sheets, small icebergs floating off and melting in the warmer waters.
- An Antarctic ice shelf has collapsed and broken up into thousands of icebergs.
- She was still scarred after her encounters with icebergs so proper repairs to her jury-rigged jib boom were a top priority.
- It commanded wide sweeping views of the oily blue Ross Sea with its huge floating icebergs.
- As the glacier reaches the lake, icebergs break off and slowly drift out to the sea.
- Sea ice is frozen salt water, and when natural forces break it into pieces, the larger ones are called not icebergs but ice floes.
- Friends in London envisage glaciers and icebergs up here near the Arctic Circle.
- Yes, this ice shelf has broken up into a mosaic of smaller icebergs.
- The environment in the Antarctic is magnificent with glaciers, icebergs and ice floes on a scale which is awe-inspiring.
- In March 1999, two massive icebergs broke away from the Ross Ice Shelf.
- The icebergs came in every category of shape and featured many natural parodies of architectural styles from caveman days to now.
- There were icebergs aplenty, however, as well as strange cloud formations.
- This is the mass of the iceberg, the terror that is itself a long-term greenhouse for counter-terror.
- Great floes jostled against each other piling up to form miniature icebergs.
- Sun shines on them like white gold and in the shade they become iridescent blue, eerie like glaciers or icebergs.
- Glaciers can move and calving can occur, causing huge icebergs to break away and wreak havoc.
- Dice warned in a voice that sounded like the grating together of icebergs in a glacier.
- Forget the advancing melt rate of Antarctic icebergs and world wide glacier retreat.
- Antarctic icebergs are different from Arctic icebergs in some ways.
- Mountains and icebergs, snowflakes and clouds, are delights to me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.