In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The quenching of idealism in the pursuit of monetary gain and world domination were among the core theories at the heart of John's case.
- The Quiet American is a thoughtful film about what ensues when cynicism, both personal and political, collide with idealism.
- Perhaps, but what else besides idealism, belief in humanity's potential for good, would keep anyone in a business with such a paltry reward system?
- We learned about the three ‘major’ sets of political beliefs - idealism, liberalism and realism.
- I think we can also say that today (even more so than in our youth) idealism is with those who serve, rather than bash, their country.
- So amid all of these battles that happen in the film and all the violence that's going on, there's this really terrific story of virtue and idealism and the pursuit of what is right.
- The film doesn't simply say that money doesn't buy happiness; rather, it explores the complex nature of power, wealth, idealism and youth.
- Indeed, those parents of an age to have had to put up with the abuse, ranting, demonstrating, and phony political idealism of the sixties will at last be getting some kind of return from their children.
- As Abbott has since admitted, this was done not through any sense of public duty or political idealism.
- The position Professor Fodor is attacking, which associates reality with true belief, sounds like idealism, not pragmatism.
- It's in our youth when idealism burns strongest.
- In the 1900's, a new political idealism took hold of Russia.
- This is not to say that Americans have lost their idealism or their belief that international relations should be dictated in part by moral principles - hardly.
- And that is idealism: a belief that good can triumph over bad, that principle can defeat expediency.
- Whether the effect is attributable to idealism or political calculation, some prominent officials appear to have been swayed.
- The idealism of the China Youth Daily is actually very practical.
- There were others who, in perhaps the first act of political idealism in their lives, renounced MAD in protest over its editor's departure.
- American idealism with its unrealistic expectations led many to assume the master was above vices.
- My desire to continue my career in the Marines was bumping up against my political idealism and I was unsure of what to do.
- Escaping to Italy, she sets her sights on the newly married Robert Windermere, whose wife Meg is about to turn 21 and is still charming with the naivety and idealism of youth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.