In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(name)identidad feminineto prove one's identity — demostrar su identidad
- you'll need some proof of identity — necesitará algún documento que acredite su identidad
- it was a case of mistaken identity — fue un caso de identificación equivocada
- I thought this would make people careful about concealing their true identities; in fact it led to more mayhem than I would have believed possible.
- NBC has revealed the identities of the 18 contestants that will compete on The Biggest Loser's fourth season.
- Being one of the king's personal guests had given them a special status despite the fact that their identities had yet to be given.
- It's a tangled skein of mistaken identities and ordinary people caught up in extraordinary situations; call it Brothers on a Train.
- In fact, her identity as a citizen in urban India is one that is minimally developed, if at all.
- It doesn't matter that the joke is about mistaken identity or the fact that they're chasing the wrong vehicle - Atkinson can make you laugh at it anyway.
- It was a widely known fact that the identity of the five most powerful superhumans was a closely guarded secret.
- The homeless people, the mistaken identity, quite a few defenses at work here, and seeing what may or may not stick with this jury.
- He initially gave a false name, but then revealed his true identity and the fact that he was banned from driving and had no insurance.
- Like the films they screen, the festival has its own share of ‘real-life’ high drama and plots based on mistaken identities.
- The only clue the police have to his identity is the fact that he appears to be a virtuoso stylophone player and only seems to be truly at ease when playing the magical instrument.
- ‘The very item of disguise meant to hide his identity has in fact given it away,’ he added.
- Costumes are in pastel shades and of Fifties vintage, witty in their matching detail for the tale of two sets of identical twins and multiple mistaken identities.
- Mistaken identity, of course, has been the province of much postcolonial fiction.
- There is also corroborating evidence from Interpol the documents provided by the couple to verify their Kola identity are in fact false.
- The claimant has to prove not merely his own identity but also the fact of his parents' marriage.
- What follows is a farrago of mistaken identities and gender reversals, a painful rip-off of Shakespeare in Love without any of the wit, charm or heart.
- In fact the identity of these ‘planners’ is never sufficiently investigated.
- All facts, including the identity of the killer, are assessed on the basis of a single criterion: the extent to which they serve their own cause.
- The fact that the identity of the vessel was known at the time the Japanese forces were dispatched to hunt down the sub was revealed over the ensuing days.
1.2(character)identidad feminineto lose one's identity — perder la identidad
- personal/national/sexual identity — identidad personal/nacional/sexual
- That is, what about people who deliberately disrupt the continuity that ordinarily characterizes our identity?
- The assumption is that the European nations have superior monocultural identities which are threatened by dark hordes who will destroy the democratic heart of the continent.
- Multiculturalism is a political ideology that has completely altered the demographic identity of this nation.
- One commonly observed facet of the gay scene is that people often seek to define their very identities by the fact that they go to certain venues.
- The modern state mediates national, sexual and ethnic identities in the public sphere.
- What should be one of the most important facts of our national identity is instead one of the government's most closely guarded secrets!
- Identities explores the relationship of racial, ethnic and national identities and power hierarchies within national and global arenas.
- Each stage in this progression apparently moves him from the status of hero to that of outcast, but in fact both identities are implicated in him from the very start.
- So, when you get involved into the European community your sense of your own national identity is enhanced in fact.
- Understanding the myriad ways that Americans interacted with the world provides new insights into the construction of American literary and national identities.
- My appreciation of this country stems from the fact that our national identity is impossible to pin down.
- History has proven that such integration movements on the whole have given new strength to national identities.
- After nine decades, our national identity has changed dramatically.
- Many people - most, in fact - shape their identities as partners of lovers who become spouses and fellow-parents.
- However, the fact that some tribal identities do not survive into later centuries underlines the political volatility of the period.
- All over the world, youth are participating in movements against the same systems of power that threaten to manipulate the economic and social identities of whole nations.
- For decades, the national identity represented a progressive Utopia in her eyes.
- There are ‘diasporas’ of all national and ethnic identities in most countries which have had substantial levels of immigration.
- Children thus formulate their identities in ways that make rural connections essential to both their ethnic and national identities as productive citizens.
- One could argue, in fact, that ethnic identity itself is a way of talking about access to resources.
2Mathematics Philosophyidentidad femininean identity of interests — una identidad / coincidencia de intereses
- When you use an operation to combine an identity with another number, that number stays the same.
- First, among the operations there must be an identity element - an operation that leaves the system unchanged.
- For example, the collection of integers under addition is a group (the identity element is 0), and groups occur throughout mathematics from geometry to combinatorics to cryptography.
- The Lie algebra as a vector space can be identified with the tangent space at the identity element of the group.
- Identity and equality are two fundamental binary relations which relate expressions of a given type.
- Group theory studies not a single structure, but a type of structure, the pattern common to collections of objects with a binary operation, an identity element thereon, and inverses for each element.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.