- Perhaps there is a sound that goes with the symbol, as with Chinese ideograms; maybe there are multiple sounds also with Chinese ideograms as they are rendered orally in diverse dialects.
- While it is possible that the Egyptians borrowed the idea for ideograms and phonograms from the Sumerians, many experts think that would be very unlikely.
- With tens of thousands of Japanese characters - or kanji, based on Chinese ideograms - to choose from, the possibilities would seem limitless.
- Early written characters were based on pictograms and ideograms; it is commonly believed that pictograms appeared before ideograms.
- Mankind is coming back a full circle - from ideograms through alphabet to ideograms.