In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When idolatry began, the first idolaters knew that Hashem existed, that He was the Creator of the world, and all they were doing was praising His creations, the sun and the moon, as intermediaries.
- Notice that Wright contrasts the people of God being vindicated with idolaters being shown to be wrong.
- They were not idolaters as some religiously intolerant groups might suggest; no learned people actually worshipped the sun as God literally.
- In their view, many people who claim to be monotheists are actually polytheists and idolaters.
- Apparently, idolaters could be redeemed, but informers could not.
- That the idolater became an idol himself is, as ever, the sadder story.
- In other words, I would say that idolatry not only dishonors God and demeans the idolater; it ultimately leads to the destruction of the hapless idol itself.
- They will not be among the Egyptian idolaters in the future; they will be among the immoral Canaanites.
- If we want to stop short of being idolaters, how can we advance the analysis and criticism of all such political proposals in congregational locales?
- The nations amongst whom they were exiled were like the unclean idolaters of old, whose blandishments and evil influence must at all costs be resisted, until such time as God in His infinite mercy chose to redeem and vindicate His people.
- Some people would be horrified to think of themselves as idolaters, yet their behavior may manifest a lack of faith and trust in God.
- According to this savant, all existing archaeological evidence should be destroyed and a sign installed in its place: ‘Behold the fate of idolaters!’
- But the grounding in verses 19 and 20 for the assertion that the idolaters under discussion were without excuse, that they knew God through the things God has made, clearly shows that Gentiles are in view.
- It grew up in the effort to conquer Canaan against what we thought was an ocean of idolaters and the effort to survive the Roman Empire.
- In the eyes of idolaters, the idol was seen neither as the source of their existence nor as the source of their well-being.
- Among such passageways is the imitation of idolaters or of the followers of other religions who have exaggerated respect for their saints.
- On the other hand, idolaters and would-be gods take ‘fire’ literally, and use it for the destruction of others.
- We hope that the day will come when Christianity will give up everything it inherited from idolaters and only that will remain which Judaism bequeathed to it and which was purified and refined by the loftiest Greek and new thought.
- Furthermore, rare are the religious bodies today that exclude thieves or greedy persons, or drunkards or revilers or robbers or even adulterers or prostitutes, or idolaters from the kingdom of God and the precincts of the sanctuary.
- Believers, know that the idolaters are unclean.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.