In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1siif you're good, I'll read you a story — si te portas bien, te leeré un cuento
- let me know if you hear anything — si oyes algo, dímelo
- if I had it, I would give it to you — si lo tuviera, te lo daría
- I'd help you if I could — te ayudaría si pudiera
- he would have come if he'd known — habría / hubiera venido si hubiera sabido
- if treated with care — si se lo trata con cuidado
2(whether)sithey asked if he had left — preguntaron si se había ido
- she doesn't care if you win or lose — no le importa que pierdas o ganes
3(though)aunquesi bienit's a good plot, if a complicated one — es un buen argumento, aunque complicado / si bien es complicado
4.1(in requests)if you'll all follow me, please — síganme, por favor / ¿quieren seguirme, por favor?
- shall I put the tray here? — if you would — ¿pongo aquí la bandeja? — se lo agradecería
- If I could trouble you to try a little exercise, it will help to elucidate.
- If you wouldn't mind giving me your email address, I will have her write to you to answer your questions and offer experienced advice.
4.2(indicating surprise)well, if it isn't Mike Britton! — ¡pero si es Mike Britton!
- if that doesn't beat everything! — ¡eso sí que bate todos los récords!
- Well, well, well, if it isn't a revision update.
- Nothing like a friendly reminder at the end of the week that I would be very lucky if I could just be left alone to do my work.
1if the venture succeeds, and it's a big if, then … — si la empresa tiene éxito, que no es decir poco / lo cual está por verse, entonces …
- a lot of ifs and buts — muchas condiciones y salvedades
- No ifs, no buts, no questions - they're sending me to Cambridge for the nine-month Masters program.
- Good days probably weren't on Lawler's mind as he sat out the dying minutes of the Westmeath game but for him the ifs and buts are always there.
- Well, what are the buts, ifs and shoulds of this game in which Skellig Rangers were coasting with 11 minutes left?
- What the Security Council absolutely should not do is pass some resolution that can then be picked apart by ifs and buts and caveats.
- These are big ifs and you don't have to believe in chaos theory to see that the economic consequences of what happened yesterday could be severe.
- It said it would not cut people's working conditions: ‘no ifs, no buts, no maybes’; and so on.
- And Graham had no ifs, ands or buts about what he thought, and that's what I was hoping Kerry would speak to.
- It's all about standards and looking back with no ifs or buts.
- But if - if - and these are giant ifs, put them in italics because it's great uncertainty.
- However there are always ifs and buts, and if anyone supposes I am trying to diminish Malcolm's win by making excuses, they are wrong.
- There were no mights, no ifs, no buts, no doubts, no qualifications.
- When a great new revolutionary idea hits the public, there are always doubters, raising niggling ifs and buts.
- That might be too many ifs in the three years left until 2004, when the first major payout of over Rp 50 trillion falls due.
- No ifs or buts about the merits of the Dubs victory, although the margin of it, nine points, scarcely did justice to Waterford's brave effort.
- But frankly, that is more ifs than can be found in a Kipling poem.
- No ifs or buts about it, victory over the hour went to the better side.
- Yet another may allow that torture is justified for another set of ifs.
- With ifs and buts about almost everything else in the race Castleruanna is the ideal start to your betting weekend.
- What science will hazard instead of conclusions is a series of ifs.
- It allows one to put out misleading simplifications as long as the caveats, ifs and buts are buried somewhere in the detailed material.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.