In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Inuit igloos in the Arctic and felt-covered yurts on the Mongolian steppes, for example, have been used for centuries.
- Played out in peat lodges and ceremonial igloos the Inuit games involved contorting bodies, jumping, kicking and various arm-pulling trials of strength.
- Even with a small air pocket, the warmth of a victim's breath can seal the snow around his mouth much as perspiration seals the inside of an igloo or a snow cave.
- Consider the Inuit, otherwise known as Eskimos, sitting in their igloos or caribou hide tents.
- Winter dwellings may have been built from stone blocks like the familiar igloos of more recent times.
- Summer housing for many Inuit was a skin tent, while in the winter the igloo, or house made of snow, was common.
- In addition, unexpected storms have left hunting parties stranded, and harder packed snow due to recent wind changes makes it more difficult to build igloos for shelter.
- We could not stop thinking of all the supplies on the other sled, warm caribou skins, a snow knife for making an igloo, fuel for the stove, and other survival gear.
- Produced by an Inuit cast and crew, The Fast Runner pays close ethnographic attention to the daily details of Inuit life, from building an igloo to making a sealskin drum.
- One scene stands out in particular; it's a songfest held in an igloo where everyone is dressed-up in sparklingly clean white parkas and decked out in their best furs.
- The stereotypical Eskimo wears a fur parka and lives in an igloo.
- They learnt how to keep it for quite a long time by building ice houses, with a dome, which looked like igloos.
- There could have been a set comprising of totems, carvings, teepees, long houses, or igloos.
- Then he and his wife shovel snow from the igloo's entrance and wriggle inside.
- You don't want too much explosive in a single igloo; you want igloos separated by enough open land that an explosion in one will not set off a chain reaction.
- Whenever we need something, Sandy has it - seasonings to spice up our freeze-dried meals, a snow saw for building igloos, binding parts and tools to repair nearly anything that breaks.
- I think his dream home would have been an igloo in northern Nunavat.
- One was a film about Eskimos building an igloo, which was pretty lousy, because there was a ponderous commentary which tried to tell you that Eskimos live in igloos.
- Temporary snow houses were also used, though the legendary igloo was a structure used more by Canadian Inuit.
- And it's a deep still well, an igloo in the snow and a heretics' church.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.