In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The recent ignominious defeat for John McEnroe's much touted Davis Cup team underlined the problem.
- The prospect of ignominious home defeat loomed ever larger with the passing minutes, until those dramatic closing stages turned the tide.
- U.S. forces completed an ignominious withdrawal from bases in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
- Impressively, in a short time you succeeded where Soviet peace efforts struggled for ten years before giving up in ignominious failure.
- At one stage the European No 1 was in the ignominious position of propping up the field in 60th place, but his rally at the end restored some dignity.
- To rub salt in the wound Germany then took second place in the section with a similar margin of victory as they capped possibly the most ignominious week in the history of English sport.
- Such is the suffering, ignoble and ignominious, it inflicts on the viewers.
- Council sporting officials thought children could be psychologically damaged by the trauma of an ignominious drubbing at the hands of more gifted players.
- This tradition was unduly neglected for decades, especially after what was seen as its ignominious defeat in the later Imperial period.
- While Scotland will be nervous of repeating their previous ignominious performance, at least Vogts' men will have their supporters behind them.
- After Germany's ignominious defeat in World War I, Hitler made Germans feel good for ten years, anyway.
- Why then has the Nice treaty ratification ended in such ignominious defeat?
- However it has not been plain sailing for the American since his arrival at Meadowbank last month in wake of the Scots' ignominious start to the BBL season.
- At what point do we take that ignominious, shabby route down from the moral high ground to defend a Labour government?
- Ulysses is a terrible novel and deserves to die an ignominious death.
- Books, in fact, provide some of the best examples of this ignominious protectionist tendency in Irish history, North and South.
- An early intervention by elements of the US 24th Division resulted in an ignominious defeat.
- Moreover, he ‘leads’ the team from ignominious to defeat to ignominious defeat.
- This joke has an ignominious history in my own life.
- But once developed and utilized, it is a tool that can make the difference between glorious victory, and ignominious defeat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.