In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ignorante masculineinculto masculineinculta feminineanalfabeto masculine informalanalfabeta feminine informal
- From this it is but a short step to viewing those who oppose liberal ideas or policies as hidebound traditionalists, bigots, or ignoramuses.
- ‘I went from an antiques ignoramus into a devotee of ancient ceramic ware,’ Cai said.
- After all, Americans are self-centered ignoramuses who ‘love to talk about things they know nothing about,’ as Rick Mercer proclaims.
- They are ignoramuses of the highest order and deserve the treatment that will, sooner or later, come to them.
- There really is a need for those of us who do know the right things to think to take pity on the ignoramuses who don't and really correct them when they are wrong.
- Um, that a work of literature is not to be crushed and censored by ignoramuses whose ability to think has not yet passed the horizon of Pavlovian responses to ritually impure words?
- It is a great thing for intellectuals to discuss politics, but we don't want ignoramuses to discuss politics.
- Isn't it a shame that we have these key people doing important things who are either incompetent ignoramuses or dumb as posts?
- Sometimes I am such an ignoramus, such a witless dope.
- His career brought him in contact with the first men of his time; he preferred the company of rustic ignoramuses.
- And I'm not making movies for those ignoramuses.
- What other reason can there possibly be for the number of surly, bad-mannered ignoramuses I stumble across when I'm looking to use, order or buy anything?
- So in my view abusing them as ‘rednecks’ is grossly offensive, prejudiced and ignorant and those who use such terms just show what ignoramuses they themselves are.
- The fact that it is too technical for the ignoramuses who run the proportional representation society is hardly a relevant argument.
- In fact they are little ignoramuses who leave high school believing that their country has made nothing but mistakes, and they never do learn what revisionist history is a revision of.
- No good teacher approaches his or her students as being ignoramuses just because they don't share the same level of knowledge.
- And the masses - stupid ignoramuses that we are - fell for it.
- He is a cretin's cretin, a halfwit, an ignoramus in every respect.
- Only fools or ignoramuses ever trust the word of government officials or politicians.
- I'm not exactly a yoga ignoramus - I used to do some out of a book and off vids when I wasn't pregnant some years ago, so I know a lot of the terms but I still felt very out of place.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.