In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1iguana femininegarrobo masculine Central America
- The arboreal lizard of C. and S. America, Iguana iguana, is the archetype but other members of the New World family Iguanidae bear the name.
- Populations of howler monkeys, iguanas, and leaf-cutting ants exploded.
- And sure enough, when the gular pumping was eliminated, the monitor lizards acted more like Carrier's green iguanas.
- A small number of reptiles, including green iguanas and common lizards, have been shown to exhibit kin recognition.
- The iguanas also devour sea turtle eggs and shorebird nestlings.
- Over 1,000,000 baby iguanas are imported to America each year, and the majority are dead within 2 years.
- Carlow's answer to Indiana Jones is now taking his band of jungle creatures including snakes, dragon lizards, iguanas, turtles, tarantulas and scorpions onto the live stage with Ireland's first Reptile show.
- We collected green iguana eggs from the island of Curacao in the Caribbean, where green iguanas attain much smaller maximum body size compared to conspecifics in Panama.
- However, not all iguanas in bad body condition had high CORT levels and we are presently investigating whether CORT levels are indeed causally related to the animals' death.
- Recent studies have shown that these iguanas have an unusual adaptive trait: their skeletons can shrink when times are tough and regrow in times of plenty.
- For iguanas and many other reptiles, the solution is to take quick, shallow breaths when they walk and never to walk very fast.
- It is carried by chickens, cows, and reptiles such as turtles, lizards, and iguanas.
- The availability of many unusual species has led to more people considering keeping these animals in their homes, and tarantulas, iguanas, salamanders and snakes are all becoming more and more popular as pets.
- In Costa Rica he watched parasitologists dissecting frogs, turtles, and iguanas and finding new species of parasites in each group.
- We had horses in the surf along with iguanas running around the yard.
- It's amazing to think that they eat iguanas in South America - they're called bamboo chicken.
- When contact with pets is implicated, reptiles such as iguanas, lizards, turtles and snakes are usually implicated.
- There are many other snakes of all different sizes, as well as chameleons, geckos, lizards, skinks, iguanas, spiders and huge tortoises.
- We studied iguanas continuously from 19 December 2000-1 January 2001, during the 3-week-long mating season.
- The dry washes here partly conceal tortoises the size of refrigerators; iguanas as long as your arm sprawl in the baking sun.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.