In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But she is much mortified by her vulgar grandmother Mme Duval, her ill-bred relatives, and the pursuit of her bold and persistent lover Sir Clement Willoughby.
- Would you be kind enough to go back on deck and tell Kay that I said she's an uncultivated, ill-bred sybarite?
- As a schoolgirl, she was the butt of taunts by ill-bred bullies who railed at her as a ‘retard.’
- Since ‘any ill-bred person threatened to undermine everyone else's claims to gentility, such rudeness had to be banned from polite social intercourse’.
- Now you know what it feels like to have your property defiled by ill-bred scum.
- Somalin yelled, ‘I'm paying for you, ill-bred brat!’
- It is extremely ill-bred, though extremely common, to press one to eat of anything.
- We have seen a gentleman at the end of a round dance escort a lady to a seat, retaining his arm about her waist, but he was very verdant, or very ill-bred.
- These ill-bred people have to be shot… and we will shoot them.
- Indeed, it is the rudists who have suffered from a singular lack of courtesy from ill-bred geologists, who rejoice in pointing out that rudist masses are not really ‘reefs.’
- For they are vacuous, ill-bred fools who know less about video games than they do about recording interesting music.
- He may be right on the issue, but it's so ill-bred for him to bring it up.
- I am really quite disturbed by the fanaticism and intolerance shown by these ill-bred youths.
- You may insult me because I accept you are ill-bred and ignorant!
- Some critics have noted that Cowley may have drawn her idea of Letitia posing as an ill-bred rustic from Oliver Goldsmith's She Stoops to Conquer, but if she did, she gave the plot device a major twist.
- He makes Eduardo and Hernandez look like the scrappy, ill-bred urchins they are.
- In the eyes of many Chinese, kitchens, especially public ones, can be associated with bloody slaughtering, pungent smells and ill-bred shouting.
- People who call others weirdo simply because of their beliefs, are both ill-bred and stupid.
- What exactly would make a ill-bred girl such as yourself so blissful?
- There are many ill-bred crooks and criminals out there who try to install malicious software and scripts on unsuspecting web surfers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.