In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These are not stray and ill-considered comments.
- But this time it seemed too early, too rash, too ill-considered.
- Our verdict: this policy is ill-considered, and the military is squandering a golden moment to effect meaningful personnel reform.
- ‘Good ideas’ that are ill-considered tend to get people killed in this line of work, and Clark knows at least that much.
- But the lesson of history is that the consequences of ill-considered legislation usually outlast the danger - however extreme - it is designed to combat.
- There are some who say that blogs lack gravitas, that there is no quality writing, that the analyses are hurried and ill-considered.
- The journal must come out four times a year with the requisite number of articles in it, on occasion forcing hasty and sometimes ill-considered decisions.
- Any rash or ill-considered decision can have repercussions for the stability of this country.
- We stamp all over the planet, meting out instant, severe punishment on the basis of hasty, ill-considered judgement, with the most appalling and devastating of consequences.
- Agents complain that ill-considered remarks by football managers are driving work into the hands of the big legal firms.
- The ill-considered and grotesque roadway has been a scar on the wonderful upland environment since a former owner of the estate thought he could create a ski development up on the roof of Scotland.
- There has been a lot of ill-founded and mischievous speculation about these arrests and some ill-considered and aggressive comment directed at our organisation.
- The result was that countless men who, in the mood of that time, should and would have hanged were in fact saved, and five years later, were freed under an ill-considered Allied amnesty.
- Its ill-considered title of ‘eat all you like’ was interpreted more of a challenge than an invitation, and the dining room soon came to resemble a grain drop in Rwanda.
- Certainly, if grammar collapses and language unravels into a tangle of meaningless, ill-considered phrases, we will have lost something that should be treasured.
- The FDA labels the practice unsafe, unsound, and ill-considered.
- And that in turn leads to ill-considered social policy.
- Imagine the confected, ill-considered outrage from pundits, radio shockjocks and bloggers alike if any such proposal was ever seriously floated.
- In the heat of the moment ill-considered remarks are often made.
- This is just ill-considered invective, written on the spur of the moment and unduly influenced by the absolutely horrendous headache I'm currently enduring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.