In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ill-gotten gains — dinero mal habido masculine
- All Australian jurisdictions have comprehensive schemes to strip criminals of all forms of ill-gotten gain.
- The sector could easily be taken over by criminal elements to launder their ill-gotten gains.
- The thieves were found in possession of their ill-gotten booty - a 2 baht-weight gold necklace.
- Police in West Yorkshire are taking on more than 20 financial investigators to make sure that criminals' ill-gotten gains get put back into the community.
- If they really want to go legit they should voluntarily dump all their ill-gotten data and start from scratch, as a sign of good will.
- Some investors come with hidden agendas of cleansing their ill-gotten funds and continuity of their criminal activities.
- They are here today, gone tomorrow, with just enough ill-gotten cash to entice other charlatans into engaging the same schemes.
- I hope the thieves are happy with their ill-gotten gains.
- The programme shows how Britain's richest criminals made their ill-gotten gains, laundered it and spent it.
- It will be recalled, however, that the civil law in England now plays its part in pursuing the fraudulent and their ill-gotten proceeds.
- Some birds, like scrub jays, are accomplished thieves who know how to stash their ill-gotten food to avoid it being stolen back again.
- ‘This is unexplained wealth and this is ill-gotten wealth,’ Moreno said.
- We look forward to seeing the expression of the first big-time criminal as his ill-gotten gains are snatched away from him.
- Together we melted into the nearby maize field to devour our ill-gotten contraband.
- There is to be a new law enabling the authorities to impound property that it suspects, but cannot prove, is the ill-gotten gains of crime.
- They would then go and fence their ill-gotten gains, before returning to the streets to prowl once more.
- The criminals told police that they spent their ill-gotten gains in local entertainment venues in town.
- Tamper with property, no matter how ill-gotten, and no investor will have confidence, they claim.
- Katarik began to rifle through the robbers' treasure and ill-gotten gains.
- The summit must close the gaping holes that allow terrorists and international criminals to finance violence and launder their ill-gotten profits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.