In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Above our table were small, hanging lights whose subtle illumination was overpowered by the streetlights, a reminder of the restaurant's location.
- The use of blue light in this experiment is important because white light illumination caused significant heating artifacts.
- Where access is not too long and difficult, battery packs like those used for video lights can provide excellent illumination.
- Soft lighting provides much better illumination - witness how much darker a road is when full of cars with headlights switched on compared with a road with just amber street lights.
- It meant going miles out, in heavy swells; it meant shooting in the pre-dawn gloom with only harbour lights for illumination.
- The lighting that is currently in place is extremely poor, with only six lights providing dim illumination inside the subway.
- The headlamps' illumination was the first light this pitch-black place had known in decades, possibly centuries.
- They crawled down the crawlway; the inside cold and dark; only a few dim lights providing illumination.
- A third of the light generated by street illumination goes straight upwards, which is a terrible waste and of no benefit to anybody.
- The most amazing thing about it is that you get about 12 times the battery life of a light putting out comparable illumination.
- She performed on a bare stage with minimal props; only fairly late in her career did she employ lighting effects beyond mere illumination.
- General or background lighting provides an overall level of illumination when natural light levels are low.
- Last night, creeping along in the dark, with no illumination but the lights of the vehicles, I could see little.
- This list includes the brushed metal-look instrument panel trim, ambient foot lights, and welcome illumination.
- An entire show had been cancelled and the theatre hall spruced up with translucent blue illumination and coloured-halogen lights that danced to the music on smoke screens.
- In the end, the driver crawled along until he could get into a lay-by using only his indicator light for illumination, and used his own mobile to call the police.
- It comes equipped with transmitted and reflected light illumination.
- The basement was dank and dark with no windows and only a few strategically placed fluorescent lights for illumination.
- This crosswalk provides for push button activated flashing yellow hazard lights and illumination of the crosswalk area.
- I rarely venture into the fridge before work, and when I get home, the kitchen light provides ample illumination.
1.2British (decorative lighting)luces
- Still, the serial light illuminations that made the nights more cheerful during the past few days told their own story.
- I said imagining her putting on her best frock and heading for the bright lights that is Blackpool illuminations.
- How about a dinner party for 14 at the giant oval dining table, lit by four vast pendant lights, further illuminations kindly provided by the Square Mile?
- Now the illuminations were lights put onto the buildings, and they actually detail it, it's a changeover in the technology again.
- Street lamps, spotlights, illuminations, adverts, security lighting and three million houses, all contribute to the most severe light pollution in the UK, beaming light upwards where it isn't needed.
- Behind her, there was another torch lit and another, until the great room itself was filled with lights and illuminations to bewilder even the lavished of all Romans.
- From ice lanterns, people evolved ever more elaborate ice sculpture decorated with colourful illuminations.
- The inside had millions of illuminations allowing light into the station.
2Artiluminación feminineminiado masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.