In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(false appearance)to give / create an illusion of sth — dar la impresión de algo
- the mirrors gave the illusion that the room was larger — los espejos daban la impresión de que la habitación era más grande
- an optical illusion — una ilusión óptica
- a master of disguise and illusion — un maestro del disfraz y el ilusionismo
- This artist is known for creating the most amazing visual illusions.
- Depersonalization, heightened perception, especially to light and sound, and illusions are also commonly reported.
- Vivid hallucinations and delirious illusions may also occur.
- I wowed him with an illusion involving a silk scarf and a cup with a false bottom.
- The new technology uses a principle known as ‘wave field synthesis’ to create complex audio illusions for everyone within a defined space.
- Pilots are also trained to understand and avoid visual illusions, perceptions that differ from the way things really are.
- One might suppose that this preview allowed participants to notice and adjust for the effect of the illusion.
- They also experienced visual illusions such as real objects appearing to move or pulsate.
- In this sense, the illusions that are attributed to the senses always involve false judgement.
- When we peer out into the world is all that we see potentially a confabulation - a grand visual illusion staged by our brain?
- The pub was decked up with a lot of theme decor and bizarre visual illusions.
- The intoxicated state is characterized by illusions, visual hallucinations and bodily distortions.
- In any case, puzzle fanatics will enjoy the many riddles, illusions, cryptograms and other mind-benders offered for analysis.
- Her photos are viewed through an old stereoscope, which creates wonderful visual illusions.
- Also, don't forget to take a look at the optical illusions books below.
- The same is true for visual illusions, hypoxia and other factors affecting interpretation as the brain receives information from the eyes.
- They may have been linked to various illusions that can be experienced.
- For more illusions and to understand the science behind them I highly recommend visiting this amazing website.
- In addition, not all illusions are completely understood.
- Hallucinations and illusions are disturbances of perception that are common in people suffering from schizophrenia.
2(false idea)ilusión feminine
- Participating in new formations alongside leading figures who still have reformist ideas, it is claimed, will spread illusions in people with damaging politics.
- Great acting skills may not be one of his attributes, but then Fardeen is at least not under any false illusions.
- We've got to somehow - my own preference is to say we have to understand how we got to the illusion.
- The library and police department also keep his number on file, but he doesn't harbor any illusions about his popularity.
- Our world will appear to crumble as we know it, as distractions, false voices, illusions and misconceptions will be taken away from us.
- Because if He wouldn't do that, we'd just remain stuck in our illusions, unclear on the idea that God can do it all.
- Its best to let go expectations and illusions about yourself.
- Iyer spoke of ideas and illusions of India, of the mundane in one locale becoming the exotic in another.
- He gives us a more troubled world, one with few illusions but still possessed of ideals, as Hitler's war machine draws its net around what is left of Europe.
- Many people today, however, cling to the illusion that gaining material wealth will be the key to all their problems.
- Liberalism now needs to be liberated from many of its own illusions and delusions.
- To successfully pass this test we must face it properly without false illusions.
- People do buy into the illusion that they can experience a little dusting of celeb glamour by lining the pockets of already rich stars.
- But the biggest illusion is the idea that travelling on your own is all that wonderful.
- And yet the abundance of God is a belief that both consoles our fears and deconstructs the illusions that hold us captive.
- We were at least under the illusion that we could have an idea, have a style, that wouldn't immediately be sold back to us.
- Man and house are thus a perfect match, as all the characters trapped in their own illusions and false expectations of Sancher end up more hurt than healed.
- I watch icons smash and belief systems shatter and the illusions which have poisoned my mind begin to retreat.
- Believing that our beliefs are illusions, however, is self-refuting.
- ‘I don't have any illusions about the importance of writing stories,’ he added.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.