In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(at once)inmediatamentede inmediatoit's not immediately obvious — no resulta obvio a primera vista
- On his return, he joined Shackleton and immediately set sail once more for the Antarctic.
- Once inside, I immediately fall in with four London guys who are also staying in our hotel.
- I of course told him that he was drunk and should immediately ring and book me a flight.
- Almost immediately two of the jurors began to cry and were left obviously distressed by what they were asked to study.
- I scraped once and immediately a frog sounded once from beneath the porch.
- It seems clear to me, however, that one may know things for an instant and immediately forget.
- He immediately attempted to contact a nurse by ringing the hospital bell near his bedside.
- Once elected, MPs immediately fall out of the control of those who elect them.
- I had an opportunity to chat with him once or twice, and was immediately impressed by his fund of knowledge.
- He immediately rang the police on his mobile telephone and explained what had happened.
- Even if they ring off immediately they'll stay connected for a minimum of five minutes.
- Pool staff tried to revive him and an ambulance was called immediately.
- Serve immediately straight out of the saucepan into deep soup bowls with the olives and eggs to the side.
- The quick acting anaesthetic took hold immediately, too fast for me even to speak.
- When an older gentleman next got on people jumped up immediately without being prompted.
- Once cooked rinse it immediately in cold water, then let it soak in fresh cold water while you get on with the sauce.
- Once it is produced and transported it must immediately be delivered to buyers or users.
- She said the prisoner was attended to immediately and an ambulance was called.
- The boat passed out of the harbour and immediately things began to get better.
- There is no time to take a position and you end up facing your own goal, which immediately sets alarm bells ringing.
1.2Britishen cuantoI'll send you a cheque immediately the goods arrive — le mandaré un cheque en cuanto llegue la mercancía
- immediately I said it, I realized what I had done — en cuanto lo dije, me di cuenta de lo que había hecho
2.1(referring to time, space, rank)(after/before) inmediatamentemy room is immediately above yours — mi habitación está exactamente / justo encima de la tuya
- the person immediately above him at work — su superior inmediato en el trabajo
- It meant he could not make a move on those immediately ahead and was a sitting target for those chasing from behind.
- Anyway, the place to see and be seen at the Masters is under the big oak tree that sits immediately behind the clubhouse.
- He tended to have a few pints very quickly immediately after the close of play and be in bed by 10 o'clock.
- Juno Beach was six miles wide and the Germans had fortified the area immediately behind the beach.
- Duval stood immediately behind the green, applauding as Palmer came into view.
- He bounced off the first vehicle and then struck a second immediately behind it.
- Some of these axes were even deposited in a marshy basin immediately north of the henge complex.
- It still exists but has been relocated and now runs immediately south of Union Station.
- The ban on taking scallops from the area immediately west of Westray has been lifted.
- There was irony in the fact that the only player from the area immediately south of the Zambesi had played for England.
- He was unaware that he was upside down and thought he was in the corridor immediately behind the coal train's cab.
- The aim is to allow the hazard rate to be altered during a time interval immediately after each long flight.
- That left just four directors to go immediately from the annual meeting to an emergency board meeting.
- It was hit when the car immediately behind shunted into his vehicle after it was banged from behind by a third motorist.
- Sitting in the penalty box at Philadelphia, he was heckled by fans immediately behind him.
- There was a gateway on the western side and a timber building immediately behind the enclosure boundary.
- There is an island just below the weir and the best pegs are the two behind this island and the two immediately below it.
- Colour can certainly affect soil temperature, and that of the air immediately above it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.