In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The leaden poems have won him immortality as the world's worst poet and now he is to be cast in bronze.
- The villain achieves a kind of immortality by using a device called the Lazarus Pit to rejuvenate his aged body.
- A less driven woman might have been content with such generous helpings of immortality, but she was not that placid woman.
- Later, in a remarkable and rare testament to sporting immortality, he gave his name to an entire housing development.
- No one can write a book aspiring to immortality, for it would then court both ridicule and certain mortality.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.