In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1impenitentedespite everything, he remains impenitent — a pesar de todo, no se arrepiente
- It is not to pretend the impenitent person is penitent.
- If he does not confess he is at a loss, then he is an impenitent who will not admit his sins.
- He is also assured, brilliant, and impenitent, often justifying appalling military actions.
- Michelle, her actor daughter, is impenitent in unloading the truth about her high society mother who denies her Quebecois roots.
- But six years later he was arrested again, this time under charges of impenitent heresy, and was burnt at the stake in 1596, at the age of thirty.
- Once condemned and in prison awaiting execution, Peter received visits from local ministers eager to prevent him from meeting death impenitent.
- But apparently the real purpose of the Mass is to provide a setting in which we feel comfortable with our impenitent persistence in grave sin.
- ‘Everything is blessing to the elect,’ he stated, ‘but nothing is blessing to the impenitent unbeliever outside Christ.’
- To think and speak of that day with horror doth well become the impenitent sinner, but ill the believing saint.
- The Lords and Commons repent, but the clergy remain impenitent, are exposed, and the malefactors brought to the scaffold.
- But there is no folly like that of the impenitent child of the world.
- Will you die in your sins and go to hell like the impenitent robber?
- The impenitent and unbelieving will be ‘outside’ for ever.
- It is he who, now discovered, remains impenitent.
- In the end it is the feeling of incongruity that persists, something obstinate and impenitent and a sense that nobody quite knows what to do about it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.