In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(mercy/help) implorardon't go, I implore you — no te vayas, te lo suplico
- to implore sb to + inf — suplicarle a algn que + subj
- she implored me to let her stay — me suplicó que la dejara quedarse
- Conservative MPs implored key figures in the sponsorship scandal to ‘just let it out’ Wednesday and admit they lied to Parliament three years ago about their roles in the affair.
- On research, Gates implored politicians to dedicate more funding to federal research programs and to make the research and development tax credit permanent, an idea supported by President Bush.
- And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms around their knees, imploring them to stay.
- Most Arabic music is pure melody and rhythm, unencumbered by harmony; voices implore and exult, while instruments share the inflections of song.
- This is me imploring the congregation of nurses at the first learning session to please, please, please put more people on treatment.
- There and then, he cast himself on the mercy of God, imploring him to forgive his sins and accept his soul for Christ's sake.
- What if they just forget the due process, consultants and planning stuff and like Mayo just ‘implored’ you to do it?
- The Prime Minister has implored the state and territory leaders to take up the Commonwealth's plan for the Murray-Darling Basin for the good of the nation.
- Thus this work can be read as autobiographical, sometimes more specifically as representing a triangle in which the man is Rodin, the imploring young woman, Camille, and the old woman, Rose Beuret, or more generally as a symbolic representation of the painful break between Claudel and Rodin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.