In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(significance)importancia feminineto be of great/of the utmost importance — ser de suma/de la mayor importancia
- it's of no importance — no tiene (ninguna) importancia
- to attach importance to sth — concederle / darle importancia a algo
- I want to write. I want to be able to spend a day doing nothing of any real importance.
- The issue is of such importance that it should be dealt with at this early stage.
- Most buildings of importance were pulverised and much of the city is still a ruin.
- The importance of things can be measured by the amount of time we're willing to give them.
- A great importance is attached to relaxation techniques that might help a person tensed due to chronic stressful life style.
- The celebration of this festival shows the importance given to tradition in our religion.
- On the whole it is clear that my field trip was of huge importance for my research.
- It is right that if work of this importance is to be carried out, it should be done properly.
- How can an organisation of this size and importance be allowed to get away with this?
- His long dark hair fell loose down his back and his purple robes showed his great importance.
- The importance of this question has been acknowledged on all sides in the present case.
- It is always the case that only in a player's absence do we get a true idea of their importance to the team.
- Music lost its importance and he even sold some of his guitars to pay for his habit.
- Costumes and furniture have as much importance as what is spoken at dinner tables.
- The best way to silence anybody puffed up with their own importance is to laugh at them.
- This is a subject that is very important to some, and has no importance in the mind of others.
- But her parents always emphasised the importance of higher education to their four children.
- Take one problem and break it down into parts, ranking them in order of importance.
- There was no importance placed on the way you look, because that was not the way you were going to get by.
- Their own passion and commitment to achieve all odds has been of great importance to me.
2(influence, standing)importancia femininea position of great importance — un puesto muy importante
- she's so full of her own importance — se da una importancia / unos aires …
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.