In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(document/event) importantewhich is more important to you, happiness or success? — ¿qué es más importante para ti, la felicidad o el éxito?
- these services are important to the community — estos servicios tienen gran importancia para la comunidad
- the most important thing is that you eat well — lo más importante es que comas bien
- As we look into these issues it is important that we never lose sight of our basic values.
- It's important to exercise at least three times a week to avoid problems with the heart.
- These things are obviously important to us all and we turn our back on the consequences at our peril.
- You get the sense that the spaces between her words are just as important as the words themselves.
- No one group has a monopoly on useful perspectives so an effective mix of views is important.
- Have you ever had something important to say only to find that you can't find the right words?
- From this point of view, it is also very important to practice compassion and patience.
- I keep in the forefront of my mind the very important public interest in freedom of the press.
- Underlying this issue is the balance to be struck between two important interests.
- To me the writing is more important than wondering whether anyone is actually reading.
- I was made to feel an important part of the team, even though I was just tapping a computer.
- They recognize that the national interest is an important value in world politics.
- This might sound basic, but remember to make up backup copies of those important files.
- Perhaps what is more important is the effect that any change in interest rates might have.
- Glass is not the only transparent material, but it may have been the most important.
- It is important to avoid any further exposure to the sun until the burns have healed.
- It's hard to know where to start explaining how important and useful this book is.
- This is a timely, important book which points at matters which are relevant to us all now.
- It was an important game for me just to show that I could play in a bigger team.
- Frankly, we think there are a lot more important and interesting things to argue about.
- The only time it was ever used was when my father had important people dining with him for business.
- Luke is the oldest and the least important employee of a dismal company that imports cloth.
- After all, in economic terms at least, a movie star is the most important person on the set.
- Each anecdote seems designed to remind us we are in the presence of a clever and important man.
- Pupils met the most important citizen in the district when he paid a visit to their school.
- For my family are the most important people in my life. They are what I live and work for.
- Her people admired her and she continued to be an important figure in her homeland.
- Since then, he has fought his way back into credit and is now an important member of staff.
- He was hosting a dinner at his home in Garon for several important figures in Azareal.
- Suffice it to say that a very important person passed through my life this weekend.
- So we asked our own oracle to look at the year ahead for some of the most important people in Irish business.
- The Bolton mummy was an important person and could have held a role such as a priest.
- The most important leader in every large church was a bishop who supervised other clergy.
- I know how to behave in front of important people and how to behave in everyday life.
- The important people have been informed of their duties and the day plan has been set in paper.
- As one of his closest companions, Anne became an important member of the new regime.
- You really can't have an important person slacking off like that in a time of crisis.
- The traffic will part like the Red Sea to let them through because they're so important?
- I don't know too much about him, but he seemed like an important man and a good bloke.
- They also offer trips for the business man who wants to impress an important client.
2(position/personage/person) importantehe's just trying to look important — está tratando de darse importancia
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.