In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(event/document) importantewhich is more important to you, happiness or success? — ¿qué es más importante para ti, la felicidad o el éxito?
- these services are important to the community — estos servicios tienen gran importancia para la comunidad
- the most important thing is that you eat well — lo más importante es que comas bien
- Glass is not the only transparent material, but it may have been the most important.
- It's hard to know where to start explaining how important and useful this book is.
- I was made to feel an important part of the team, even though I was just tapping a computer.
- No one group has a monopoly on useful perspectives so an effective mix of views is important.
- Perhaps what is more important is the effect that any change in interest rates might have.
- Frankly, we think there are a lot more important and interesting things to argue about.
- You get the sense that the spaces between her words are just as important as the words themselves.
- It was an important game for me just to show that I could play in a bigger team.
- From this point of view, it is also very important to practice compassion and patience.
- To me the writing is more important than wondering whether anyone is actually reading.
- Have you ever had something important to say only to find that you can't find the right words?
- These things are obviously important to us all and we turn our back on the consequences at our peril.
- They recognize that the national interest is an important value in world politics.
- It's important to exercise at least three times a week to avoid problems with the heart.
- I keep in the forefront of my mind the very important public interest in freedom of the press.
- This is a timely, important book which points at matters which are relevant to us all now.
- Underlying this issue is the balance to be struck between two important interests.
- This might sound basic, but remember to make up backup copies of those important files.
- It is important to avoid any further exposure to the sun until the burns have healed.
- As we look into these issues it is important that we never lose sight of our basic values.
2(personage/person/position) importantehe's just trying to look important — está tratando de darse importancia
- The only time it was ever used was when my father had important people dining with him for business.
- The Bolton mummy was an important person and could have held a role such as a priest.
- He was hosting a dinner at his home in Garon for several important figures in Azareal.
- You really can't have an important person slacking off like that in a time of crisis.
- The important people have been informed of their duties and the day plan has been set in paper.
- Pupils met the most important citizen in the district when he paid a visit to their school.
- They also offer trips for the business man who wants to impress an important client.
- Since then, he has fought his way back into credit and is now an important member of staff.
- After all, in economic terms at least, a movie star is the most important person on the set.
- So we asked our own oracle to look at the year ahead for some of the most important people in Irish business.
- For my family are the most important people in my life. They are what I live and work for.
- The traffic will part like the Red Sea to let them through because they're so important?
- Each anecdote seems designed to remind us we are in the presence of a clever and important man.
- I don't know too much about him, but he seemed like an important man and a good bloke.
- Her people admired her and she continued to be an important figure in her homeland.
- The most important leader in every large church was a bishop who supervised other clergy.
- Luke is the oldest and the least important employee of a dismal company that imports cloth.
- Suffice it to say that a very important person passed through my life this weekend.
- I know how to behave in front of important people and how to behave in everyday life.
- As one of his closest companions, Anne became an important member of the new regime.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.