In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Impressionism had revolutionized the traditional art world.
- Matisse's career was long and varied, covering many styles of painting from impressionism to near Abstraction.
- A late 19th century movement, impressionism is on the opposite side of the spectrum to Expressionism.
- Impressionism is loved everywhere for its beautiful light and color and for its modern view of life.
- It took nearly 20 years until impressionism was finally recognized and appreciated in France.
- Impressionism started as a rebellion of a few young artists in Paris around 1863 against a rigid art establishment.
- French Impressionism had paved the way for all subsequent 20th century art movements.
- In a period in which artists divided into strict artistic camps - naturalism, Realism, impressionism, academicism - Moreau fell between the cracks.
- Claude Monet was one of the founding fathers of French Impressionism.
- The history of modern art started with impressionism.
- Like impressionism, Art Nouveau was a rebellion against classical and traditional art.
- Despite modern perceptions, realism and impressionism were never part of the mainstream.
- Most of the members of the group had studied in Paris in the 1880s and the common factor in their work was an interest in impressionism.
- Their art style was bolder and more expressive than early impressionism.
- The complete accessibility and popularity of impressionism today makes it hard to recapture the radicalism in style that shocked and outraged the world with its first appearance in France in the 1870s.
- On returning to America he settled in New York, where he developed a brighter palette influenced by French Impressionism.
- My fourth-graders had been studying painting periods such as Romanticism, impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Cubism, Abstractionism and Surrealism.
- After 1880 the public slowly begun to recognize the value of impressionism.
- The catalogue covers major painting movements from Realism to impressionism and Naive Art.
- In the 1880s, when impressionism began to become popular in the eyes of the public, it had in reality gone into crisis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.