In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Lawencarcelarmeter en la cárcel
- First, a decision to imprison the man for contempt of court should never be taken too quickly.
- According to investigators 18 of the suspects had been imprisoned for similar offences in the past.
- Later that year, he was imprisoned for twelve months for his opposition to conscription.
- Whenever and wherever the U.S. government imprisons someone, the courts should be able to review it.
- He was persuaded to take the job only after being imprisoned and tortured.
- If litterers don't pay their fines on time, they can be imprisoned for up to six months.
- All of the detainees were imprisoned without charge, and the whereabouts of some of them are unknown.
- A message informed me that a student leader of my movement had been imprisoned.
- He and his three co-defendants had been wrongly imprisoned for nine years.
- Administering the death penalty is far more expensive than imprisoning the offender for life.
- He has been kept imprisoned for six weeks with no evidence whatsoever of wrongdoing.
- The statement almost caused some of the government critics to be imprisoned for alleged treason.
- He was imprisoned by the Nazis but escaped to England and returned to Norway in 1945.
- He was cleared of kidnap and assault but served eight months in military prison after falsely imprisoning the woman.
- As a result of that, he had been imprisoned, but had in some way managed to escape and make his way to this country.
- Later, he was also falsely imprisoned for treason.
- Because of his actions 46 people were imprisoned unjustly and lost their freedom for more than three years.
- In 1938, Landau was imprisoned for a year as a suspected German spy.
- A Sheffield woman who was wrongfully imprisoned following an armed raid on her home has won compensation from police.
2(lock up)(child/dog) encerrarshe felt imprisoned in the city — se sentía aprisionada en la ciudad
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.