In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine mejorafeminine mejoríayou're getting better, but there's still plenty of room for improvement — has mejorado pero todavía puedes mejorar mucho más
- if you comb your hair, it will be a big improvement — estarás mucho mejor si te peinas
- to be an improvement on sth — ser mejor que/ superior a algo
- his new girlfriend is a definite improvement on the previous one — no cabe duda de que su nueva novia es mucho mejor que / muy superior a la anterior
- her time is an improvement on the world record — su tiempo mejora el récord mundial
- an attempt at self-improvement — un intento de superarse como persona
- This I think is very true and an improvement on what I was originally saying.
- This was a vast improvement on their awful form in the Connacht Final against Mayo in Castlebar.
- While an improvement on the previous plan, it still falls far short of acceptable.
- It is hoped that the results will help them find out how to make improvements and developments.
- It is recognised as a major improvement on previous methods of estimating breeding values.
- This improvement should be a boost to using public transport and help reduce traffic congestion.
- As I write this we are working night and day to redesign the site to reflect the improvements in technology.
- He added that he is looking forward to an improvement in facilities and services at the hospital.
- The current detection rate of nine per cent is also an improvement on last year's performance.
- However, that is a vast improvement on our last performance, which doesn't bear detailing.
- In general farmers agree the weather is an improvement on last summer when rain was non-stop.
- The latest version is a considerable improvement on the last one, however.
- I think the amendment is a step forward and an improvement in the bill as it came to the House.
- In almost every sense, this is a massive improvement on the first game.
- The position those members have taken is that this bill is an improvement and a step forward.
- She is anxious to receive any other suggestions which can lead to further improvements.
- He said any improvements had been done by the Chamber of Trade and other non-political groups.
- This was an improvement on previous years but the way poverty is measured by the agency has changed.
- At first glance it appeared that our hotel was going to be an considerable improvement on the last one.
- Managed care organisations that consistently monitor and report on quality have shown significant improvements in quality.
- This development led to an improvement of the balance of goods and services and thus a reduction in the debt.
- Latin American markets have also been boosted by improvements in their domestic economies.
- I know that there are many other improvements that members will be able to put forward.
- This was one of their better days and it was a vast improvement on their last outing against Galway.
- The new system of cabinet government we have in York is not, in my view, an improvement on the committee system.
- Eden District Council said the development would also bring improvements to the road.
- The new bikes incorporate all of the improvements that that were developed over the last few years.
- There was an improvement on Thursday and thank God he has been doing very well since then.
- His best finish is a tie for 38th but if the short game is as good as it can be and he keeps hold of the long, then he may post a big improvement on the past.
- Not only will the trust be able to restore the garden, but it will also be able to make improvements to paths and seating.
- We not only need to raise the money to fund the improvements, we need to carry them out.
- This will be an improvement on drug treatments which influence the whole body and are not effective for all patients.
- But that is an improvement on last year's figures when the city was ranked sixth worst.
- This is an improvement on three years ago when 35 per cent were considered to be in the red.
- Some of the money raised has been invested in the improvement of our website.
- The site not used would then be sold off to finance extensions and improvements at the remaining two schools.
- Overall 29 per cent of crimes in Wiltshire were detected, an improvement on last year.
- This performance by the United's second string was a major improvement on last season.
- The huge improvements have been matched with a large amount of physical development to the building.
- Yet these improvements are vital if the economy and tourism are to develop.
2improvements pluralmejoras feminineto make improvements — hacer mejoras
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.