In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(not believable, extraordinary)(coincidence/story/excuse) increíbleit was incredible that nobody was killed — fue increíble que nadie resultara muerto
- incredible though it may seem — aunque parezca mentira
- They're ordinary people under extraordinary circumstances, taking on incredible odds.
- I have the impression a digicam without rechargeable batteries might be an incredible pain.
- What made the feat even more incredible is that he scored the hole in one on the ninth and he was playing the third at the time.
- He had an incredible run of terrific stories and we intend to keep the momentum.
- For a start, an incredible two million people have apparently applied for tickets to the Jubilee concerts.
- A measure of the incredible sensitivity of this issue is the fact that no-one wants to talk about it.
- The crowd goes crazy the whole night, and the atmosphere is amazing - it's incredible what a change of venue can do.
- My son sleeps in the room at the front and the heat in there was absolutely incredible - it was the most terrifying moment of my life.
- You won't believe the incredible thing that happened to me the other day.
- The information I have received is so incredible that I have difficulty believing it.
- It's incredible to believe that one as wealthy as he could ever have fallen so far.
- Brazil's use of the adjectival f-word is so impressive that it seems incredible that he was able to suppress it on air.
- So incredible did this appear, that we could hardly believe our eyes when we saw it.
- This would be an incredible feat of consistent top class riding and he will undoubtedly be the man to beat.
- From here on my wicker chair it seems incredible that just short decades ago this garden was a dust-bowl, a sterile desert.
- The story of the Unknown Warrior is one of extraordinary bravery and incredible sacrifice.
- What is even more puzzling is the set of beliefs that seems to go hand in hand with this incredible condescension.
- Well, yes, Anne, this is another extraordinary twist in this most incredible episode.
- The final, incredible twist was that it was the younger boy who had invented these characters and instigated his own murder.
- His portraits are incredible feats of mastery and the hardest of his constant commissions.
- Many of the events that take place seem implausible, even at times incredible.
- Singh shows incredible control and discretion in the handling of this difficult material.
- But it is the way he frames that opposing suggestion which is utterly incredible.
- Probably over the last four seasons they have been stronger, so to do what we did last year was an incredible feat.
- The monk starts telling a story about a man who has an incredible experience with magic and love.
- I find myself playing it and relaxing to the incredible sensations of mood in the music.
- The Host Town Programme is wonderful and the efforts of all involved have been incredible.
- Some people can go out when it's two or three feet and your first ride is pretty incredible.
- During the return flight, he said there was an incredible sensation of speed.
- Fuchs uses incredible speed and excellent defensive skills to pass many serves and dig a lot of attacks.
- People don't know that much about him, except that he makes incredible music.
- Burchill met his cross with a superb header but the keeper defied him with an incredible one-handed save.
- Being in such close contact with wild animals has also been an incredible source of wonder.
- It's a wonderful idea to do this incredible and strange show around such pictures.
- His unknown assailant had taken him down with superb speed and incredible timing.
- He was an excellent speaker with an incredible medical background.
- The play encourages us to wonder about an incredible aspect of our history.
- If you've never opened up a Lush parcel, you're definitely missing out on an incredible smell sensation.
- I would never have thought I could climb such formidable mountains, so it was an incredible thrill to be able to do it.
- He gets an incredible thrill from cooking and becomes quite animated while talking about it.
- Food: hot dogs and burgers, crêpes, wonderful fruit and antipasti, incredible cheeses.
- It's a fabulous place to live - incredible weather, great people, brilliant nightlife.
- I've had the chance to do so many wonderful things, visit so many incredible places.
- My fabulous, incredible brother from another mother has a stunningly beautiful wife.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.