In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- What constitutes an indecent act is determined by what the courts feel are the community standards of the day.
- He said there had not been any improper or indecent behaviour.
- She began accepting the indecent proposals set before her, and had affairs to fill the void her husband had left.
- For an act to be indecent, it has to happen in a public place - and context is everything.
- In terms of the Act it is illegal to commit any nuisance or disorderly or indecent act on an aircraft, to be intoxicated or to behave violently.
- Accordingly, the Act makes it an offence to display publicly any indecent matter.
- He has been charged with stalking, indecent acts and indecent dealing.
- Over the past few years, authorities have cracked down on bars in response to complaints of indecent or obscene behaviour.
- So it could not have been the real reason for the appellant's having the indecent photographs.
- Couple charged with indecent behaviour for holding hands in public.
- The new law forbids the distribution to minors of obscene or indecent material through the Internet or on-line services.
- While the move was to keep rash driving and indecent behaviour in check, the law seems to be falling short on reach.
- He told police he committed an indecent act in the cubicle.
- Police are trying to track down a man seen performing an indecent act in a Colchester car park.
- Shorts, miniskirts, and revealing clothing are considered indecent and are avoided.
- She insisted charges be brought against the man for his indecent behavior.
- Modesty suggests shunning indecent behavior but it also implies bashfulness based on timidity.
- There was no other allegation of an indecent act, notwithstanding a detailed investigation.
- He was one of three men arrested by police for indecent behaviour and insulting the head of state during the celebrations.
- She saw a male following her performing an indecent sexual act.
- I am seated with almost indecent haste and am handed a menu.
- If the visitors were a long time in making any ground, Celtic eliminated any remaining title doubts with indecent haste.
- One council I know well, suffered financial loss as a result of that indecent haste.
- Michelangelo left Rome with a haste that struck some of his friends as indecent.
- If any visions appeared owing to this kindly ecclesiastical intervention then they must have disappeared with indecent haste.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.