In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If the case went against him, Mr Messenger could be fined, suspended indefinitely or for a fixed period or struck off.
- Only non-British nationals can be detained indefinitely at Belmarsh.
- Once, people were shut up in bedlams - usually indefinitely and in terrible conditions.
- China has delayed indefinitely its national ‘action plan’ on climate change, which was due to be released on Monday after exhaustive consultations among ministries in Beijing and provincial and local governments.
- Several US embassies in the Middle East decided to close indefinitely.
- The purpose is achieved for a longer period, and quite possibly indefinitely, by an order of striking off.
- He worries that the community will be left without a hall indefinitely.
- There is an outside chance it might be postponed indefinitely.
- The Libyan government is arbitrarily detaining women and girls indefinitely in ‘social rehabilitation’ facilities, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today.
- The London Chair Authority are agitating for more pay, but to be honest the system could carry on indefinitely without them.
- I mean, there's always been an exit strategy in the sense that nobody wants to stay there indefinitely.
- But we should not expect our troops to go on doing this indefinitely.
- Is it therefore a tradition that should be perpetuated indefinitely, or should it be abandoned?
- However, British investors should not bank on the US currency boosting their returns indefinitely.
- With strike pay at $100 per week, few bus drivers will be able to stay out indefinitely.
- Brake problems have forced them to shut down the high speed Acela service indefinitely.
- Rather than roll out a service that couldn't cope with demand, they subsequently decided to suspend it indefinitely.
- If they don't follow them, they're not going to be a part of the program, whether it be indefinitely or permanently.
- There was a similar operation last year which ran for a short period of time. This crackdown is expected to go on indefinitely.
- It cannot indefinitely watch British foreign policy being defined on a Texas ranch, or in secret Pentagon meetings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.