In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(in book, journal)índice masculine
- A comprehensive, combined name and subject index forms the concluding section.
- It contains 648 pages of text, spread over 39 chapters and an epilogue, as well as a subject and a name index, each of which takes up 26 pages.
- The book has a good index and an extensive bibliography, but no list of illustrations.
- Nine pages of bibliography and both a name index and a subject index round out the book and help make it accessible.
- The volume concludes with a 200-page name index for on- and off-screen personnel.
- Short serviceable indexes of names, places, and selected subjects complete them.
- Intuition finds a disproportion between 5000 illustrations and a subject index of forty pages.
- Nearly an hour passed as I sat lost in the pages of the index of that book.
- Separate name and subject indexes provide an efficient tool to guide selective reading.
- Helpful appendices, extensive references, and subject and name indices conclude the volume.
- For one, the book contains a definitive bibliography and indices on the subject.
- The first part of the book was an index indicating what page each category started on.
- Endnotes, bibliography, and an index of names and subjects facilitate scholarly use and quick reference.
- The book includes a thorough index, making it a useful tool for researchers and students.
- The index and bibliography are thorough as well.
- The book includes a word index and a name and subject index.
- First, the index lists all common names, and all genera, but the species within genera are not listed under each genus.
- Carefully annotated and extensively glossed, it has a chronological table of Ancient Iranian Rulers, a select bibliography, and an index running to 25 pages.
- The two-page index includes only the names of persons.
- It does contain a name index but a subject index would have enhanced its usefulness.
1.2(list)lista femininethe Index — el Índice
- All library items are listed through a main author, title, and subject index.
- Additionally, Regulation 68.2 states that audit documentation must include an index or guide to the documentation.
- Some libraries have created indexes to these works.
- Libraries that use card indices may seem archaic, but they are actually very modern.
- The paleontological reprint collection is catalogued on index cards and is not yet available in computer format.
- Disk number one contains the index for the entire collection, including small pictures of every catalogue page.
- One ongoing goal is the archiving of past issues and the maintenance of an author index online; we continue to work towards the completion of this goal.
- Every title deed should be documented as per this index only.
- Audit documents must include an index that identifies preparers and reviewers and work completion date.
- The authors searched several electronic indexes and reference lists of retrieved publications, and hand searched abstracts and conference proceedings.
- Examples of finding aids include collection indexes, inventories, registers and guides.
- A helpful index leads researchers to documents relating to their favorite subjects.
- The other documents included in the bundle were not accompanied by any explanatory commentary, but there was an indexto them.
- When the university received the documents, he says, they were in such disarray that it took years to organize the pages enough to even create an index for the collection.
- My learned friend has drawn attention to the documents, the indices that were prepared and there was some correspondence about it.
- Could this mean that the differing titles were all the result of a long-dead library clerk having incorrectly entered the book's title details on an index card?
(numerical scale)índice masculinethe retail price index — el índice de precios al consumo
- the Dow Jones index — el índice de Dow Jones
- before noun index number — índice
- Financial spread betting gives retail investors an opportunity to bet on individual shares, stock indices or currencies.
- If the history or examination suggest possible hypogonadism, free testosterone or androgen index assessment is preferred.
- For instance, higher GI index foods such as a baked potato or a serving of rice with your main meal.
- Although there was a great deal of scatter, the conservation index scores decreased with increasing distance from the closest exon.
- A total of 100 first-degree adult relatives of 40 gastric cancer index patients were recruited for the study, as were two control groups.
- The entire share prices of the listed and quoted companies remained unchanged leading the share index to remain constant.
- We excluded food items from the price indexes when the average household food expenditure share was not available.
- Obviously, under these conditions monetary pumping can not generate a sustained up-trend in price indices.
- Also because share prices and indices can be that much more volatile the consequences can be quite devastating should things go wrong.
- The emotional response index ranges from 0.0 to 1.0.
- At the end of March, the air pollution index shot up to 174, a record high.
- Current care provision is inadequate, at least according to dementia care index standards, and urgent action is required.
- By design, the composite deprivation index increases across tenths with the largest increase between tenths 9 and 10.
- There was no price change and the index remained unchanged at 385.95.
- Some charting features allow you to compare individual shares to indices and industry sectors.
- Investors can bet on individual shares or stock indices, such as the Iseq, Ftse 100, Dow Jones, or Nasdaq going up or down.
- Therefore monetary expansion will distort the structure of relative prices - even if a price index does not change - and might thus precipitate crisis.
- As controlling behaviour index scores increased, the proportion of women who reported experiencing violent incidents also increased.
- First, fixation index estimates showed more random variation across generations with decreasing total numbers of populations.
- Within the index increases were recorded in dwelling approvals, the share price index, and the money supply.
- The minimum wage differs from one province to another due to differing price indexes and average per capita income.
- The construction of price indices is an attempt at the impossible mission of establishing a nonexistent price level.
- Efficacy, judged by a standard disease activity index, did not fall off.
- For all patients, we found no difference in respect of patient enablement index scores.
- In this experiment, both sperm index evaluation and mating tests were performed on males from each of 146 different genotypes.
- The share index rose from 894.85 points recorded the previous week, representing a rise of 3.76 per cent.
- The number of cigarettes smoked has been ‘significantly related’ to the headache index score and to the number of days with headache each week.
- Companies selected to be added or removed from the index often have wide price swings resulting from investors buying and selling shares of new members.
- Although mental development index scores decreased over time for both groups of infants, children prenatally exposed to cocaine had scores that decreased faster.
- Price indexes necessarily average out the extremes; they are unable to signal the more subtle price movements and they leave out relevant items such as asset prices.
- These latest trends ignore the impact of oil and gasoline prices, which will begin to show up in the March and April price indexes.
- ‘Diversity index scores are just a starting place for looking at diversity,’ Parker emphasizes.
- Pain management index scores were measured in one setting.
- For economic and monetary policy formulation, the price index represents a central indicator.
- Likewise, pain management index scores were not associated with satisfaction in the bivariate correlation analysis.
- Measured stomatal conductance vs. calculated stomatal conductance index under changing light intensities.
- Despite the fact there are house price and share indices aplenty, comparing the long-term performance of these two assets is not easy.
- Clinical assessments of the venous ulcers, based on the criteria of the severity scale, were performed and each ulcer was assigned a severity index score.
- And this spring, the core price indexes, which exclude food and fuel, have posted modest increases.
- So this may indicate that those punters betting on shares prices, indices, commodity prices and the like actually do worse than the more traditional sports betting activities.
2.2(number, ratio)índice masculinerefractive index — índice de refracción
- The thesis contains a proof of the fact that for any closed manifold the sum of the indices of a generic vector field is a topological invariant, namely the Euler characteristic.
- The paper investigated sets of indices of partial recursive functions and of recursively enumerable sets.
- If we look at the indices of the Fibonacci numbers, we can directly predict which Fibonacci number will be the square of the hypotenuse.
- Step 3: Find the cobasic variable in the equation chosen in step 2 that has the smallest index and a positive coefficient.
2.3formal (indication, sign)señal feminineíndice masculineindex of sth — señal de algo
- In spite of the widespread acceptance of withdrawal symptoms as an index of addiction, this consensual faith does not appear to be justified.
- For the vast majority of us, a handicap is an index of inadequacy - a measure of the distance by which we fall short.
- However, she said, the confidence index in many categories stayed below the 100-point level for the 13 th consecutive month.
- Another approach is to evaluate patients when their symptoms and signs raise the index of suspicion of depression.
- The drop in organised sector employment and the growing casualisation of labour is then an index of a general failure of policy since the 1990s - not cause but consequence.
- Much of the current research on nonmainstream schools centers on outcome evaluation studies that document school efficacy on indices such as academic success.
- The state of the love life in this sign is the index of overall happiness.
- Life expectancy is looked on as a measure of civilisation, if not the principal index of cultural achievement.
- I show that it is best explicable as an index of old-fashioned attitudes and that its correlation with racism simply shows that it is now old-fashioned to avow openly racist attitudes.
- The viewer can fall in love with resemblances, or can play detective, looking at signs as an index of a process.
- It is an index of censorship's staying power that Joyce can be affirmed and celebrated as a great artist in a context where his enlightened and - yes - liberal views are traduced.
- The arm circumference of each child was measured as an index of nutritional status.
- In 1932 one could be a liberal and a progressive and still consistently support the Tuskegee Study; involvement in the project was not necessarily an index of bigotry or racism.
1(provide with index)(book/journal) ponerle un índice a
2(enter in index)(name) incluir en un índiceit is indexed under 'Crimea' — aparece / está clasificado bajo 'Crimea'
3Finance Economics(prices/wages/costs) indexar(prices/wages/costs) indiciarto index pensions to inflation — indexar / indiciar las pensiones a la inflación
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.