In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Maybe we won't have to work till we drop to pay all those index-linked public sector pensions.
- I have a state pension but my husband has an index-linked pension.
- Pensions are also a sticking point: clerical workers are insisting that pensions must be index-linked, and this should not be at the discretion of the trustees.
- Interest rates may be fixed, variable or index-linked to the rate of inflation, depending on which type of account you choose.
- Last week the real yield on the 50-year index-linked gilt slumped to 0.57% - below that of an index-linked bond in deflationary Japan.
- Statements that people should work till they drop - coming after politicians raised their salaries and index-linked Civil Service pensions - smack of blatant hypocrisy.
- But, if they take medical retirement, they can expect to receive a substantially higher sum than would normally be the case as medical pensions are index-linked.
- This represents a difference of 79 per cent in the price farmers would receive if lamb price was index-linked.
- You have lost the right to an index-linked pension worth something like £20 a week in real terms - all because of a technical error that you could easily have put right had you realised earlier.
- Your pension is index-linked, courtesy of the society for whom you have created the inflation and on whom you have imposed the tax.
- Public-sector pension payments are index-linked, so they will rise in line with inflation.
- I am a pensioner in a scheme that pays a flat, rather than an index-linked pension.
- Rents should be index-linked to inflation, a measure that would guarantee security for tenants and a reasonable return for landlords.
- I may be attracted to sickly people but most of my friends who work in the public sector suffer a mysterious illness and retire on full index-linked pensions at the first opportunity, normally 50.
- The fourth issue for Irish corporates that provide index-linked pensions is the fact that in Ireland, inflation is running at about twice the European average.
- He was also in the vanguard of attempts to link unions to business with productivity bonuses for workers and index-linked wage increases and pension benefits.
- To avoid further reductions in effectiveness, the grant should be index-linked to the Department's own house price series.
- Their pensions are secure, index-linked, and paid for by taxpayers.
- The sheer expense of funding pensions - especially of the index-linked variety to which public servants are entitled - is astronomical.
- To disguise this with an offer of price index-linked coupons for the poor and cash transfers to the state in lieu of price subsidies is laughable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.