In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of India)indiohindú Criticized
- Richard Gott writes on the deepening rebellion sweeping through Latin America and the key role played by indigenous Indian peoples
- The extent of nationalist mobilization also differs amongst the various Indian tribes in America.
- Batista has visited six tribes, sleeping in their housing eating meals with them and relaying to them the teachings of his Carib Indian grandmother.
- The exposition is the first one to take Indian designers to Pakistan.
- For the Oneida Nation, Indian gaming is about self-sufficiency and concern for the seventh generation.
- The families of many of the Asian youth who were involved in the disturbances had originally come to the UK from the Indian sub-continent to work in the mills.
- Ironically, as hard and grueling as this brutal old Indian game is, lacrosse retained a reputation as sort of polo without the ponies.
- Born at Shongopovi, Second Mesa, on the Hopi Indian reservation, Tewanima chased jackrabbits as a boy.
- After the success of its gridiron coverage, Channel 4 turned its attentions to the subcontinent and the ancient Indian discipline kabaddi.
- Is the idea that this may become a breakthrough for Indian film in America, dragging India's Bollywood film culture into modern day?
- That vast country has over a million troops on the ready after rebels thought to be from Pakistan attacked an Indian army camp in Kashmir.
- And it has endured; it is already specifically Indian and forms the basis of modern Indian culture.
- Bangladesh and Indian border troops exchanged fire Thursday for the second straight day as tension rose on the entire border of the two countries.
- There are two sources of native borrowing: the Canadian Indian languages such as Cree, Dene, and Ojibwa, and Inuktitut, the language of the Inuit or Eskimo.
- Much of the frontier became ‘civilized’ at the cost of shrinking Seminole lands and desecrating Indian burial mounds.
- Persia, now Iran, was once a vast empire stretching from Egypt and the Danube to the Indian sub-continent.
- Such a struggle will find a powerful response from the urban and rural masses in Sri Lanka, in the Indian sub-continent as a whole and internationally.
- And Muslim Pakistan still occupies Indian territory in Kashmir that it seized by force in 1948.
- At their peak around 1492, the Indian population of North America had long been transforming the forest for agriculture and hunting.
- Much of the land along rivers above Klamath Lake was former Indian allotment land.
- This Indian Territory was where eastern Indian tribes such as the Kickapoos, Delawares, and Shawnees lived.
- Both the Sumu and Miskito languages are derived from the Chibchan Indian language family of South America.
- Through Black Elk Speaks, the Great Vision helped stimulate a revival of Indian spirituality throughout North America.
- Derick operated his first projector at the age of 10, and apart from 20 years as a bingo hall manager on the edge of Indian reservations in America, has been a slave to the silver screen.
- Despite fears of a war, many observers believe, however, that a concerted Indian attack on Pakistan is unlikely.
- The British never solved the problems that had caused the war, nor did they develop a consistent Indian policy for North America.
- He has witnessed weddings featuring lone pipers, ladies' choirs and even a Sioux Indian ceremony for an American couple wishing to reflect their roots.
- Many were genre scenes showing everyday Indian life featuring teepees and mounted warriors in traditional costume.
- It is no coincidence that these countries are among the poorest on the planet and include Sudan, Ethiopia, Senegal, Afghanistan and parts of the Indian sub-continent.
- The Cherokee War consisted of three campaigns from South Carolina against the Cherokee Indian nations.
- The city's large Asian population makes it is easier to integrate refugees from the Indian sub-continent including Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- This pressure led the police to deport even Indian nationals to Bangladesh.
- Pakistan described the Indian proposal as old and unworkable.
- It does not, however, seem to have come out of the Indian sub-continent, where so many Greek, Latin, European and Slavonic words are sourced.
- The top link of the food chain in this region belongs to the polar bears and the Inuit Indian people who are indigenous to this world of ice and cold.
- In this context, it is critical to review the bitter experience of the masses in the Indian sub-continent, particularly in India and Sri Lanka.
- There is never a dull moment in the great Indian sub-continent, is there?
- As with most Indian tribes in North America the lives of the Apache were destroyed as their life-blood, the buffalo were slaughtered by the whites.
- Newspapers published by Indian communities flourish everywhere, and they invariably carry a section with matrimonial ads.
- A spokesman for Pakistan further enraged Indian opinion by answering that India may have staged the attack upon itself.
1.1(person from India)indio masculineindia femininehindú feminine Criticized
- To the Quechua Indians, respect must be given to Pachamama, the Incan earth mother.
- They were cut to pieces by Sioux and Cheyenne Indians in a battle that has assumed legendary proportions.
- The rest of its people are Indians, mainly Quechua and Aymara who are subsistence farmers in the mountains.
- The Carib Indians who defeated the Arawaks also considered Qualibou a special place.
- They'd apply it to a Quechua Indian who doesn't speak Spanish.
- Native Indians and nationalism, the subjects of these two books, are both topics highly relevant to globalisation.
- It was crude demagogy, browbeating nationalists and Indians through Kashmiriyat.
- An irate listener called in to say that we were Indians because we were a special people descended from Lord Shiva.
- Gandhi encouraged Indians to boycott British goods and buy Indian goods instead.
- There are similar accounts in Hindi myth, in the Norse sagas, and even among the Hopi Indians of Latin America.
- After all I thought that just as India was for Indians so were Indians for India!
- By language we are Tamils, by race Dravidians and by nationality Indians.
- This battle involved the U.S.A. army against the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians.
- I looked about me, aware that there were very few Westerners on the flight in comparison to Indians and other nationalities.
- It is not being extended to all Indians who are foreign nationals living in all parts of the world.
- The fans in England don't realize he's a Cree Indian from North America.
- Pima Indians living in Arizona have one of the highest rates of diabetes in the world.
- It is virtually a global issue and more prevalent in the South East Asian nations and wherever Indians live.
- The war began when some Seminole Indians refused to leave Florida, defying the Removal Act.
- The practice of smoking tobacco came from the native American Indians and the Carib Indians of Tobago.
- Among Dominicans of African and European decent, Carib Indians maintain their own culture.
- How many Americans know that Seminole Indians and runaway black slaves formed an alliance in Florida?
- The Indians, Burmese and Siamese all worshiped the snake as a demon who also had good aspects.
- There is also the massive and growing presence of Indians and persons of Indian origin at Harvard.
- When I learned that my great-grandmother was an Onondaga Indian, I studied everything I could about the Iroquois.
- The Arawak Indians are the people first known to inhabit French Guiana.
- The second main group were foreign nationals; Indians, Singapore Chinese, Africans and others.
- The cliff palace dwellings built by the Anasazi Indians are awe-inspiring.
- However, there might be differences in this phenotype between immigrant and native Asian Indians.
- Pioneer Indian or Egyptian nationalists, Pan-Africanists, and Pan-Arabists raged against the European empires which ruled their lives.
- So what did this young scientist find from his observations of the Navajo Indians?
- Helianthus was first grown by the Aztec Indians who worshipped it, ate it, and decorated their wigwams with it.
- Before the Spaniards arrived, Arawak Indians farmed and hunted Cuba's fertile lands.
- Yet again Hollywood exploits another massacre, that of the Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee.
- It is, for Indians, their most significant national monument; one they will travel great distances to see.
- And there is strong circumstantial evidence that the Indians passed on their discoveries to mathematically knowledgeable Jesuit missionaries who visited India during the fifteenth century.
1.2British informal (food, meal)comida india femininecomida hindú feminine Criticized
- Shawlands now has an eclectic mix of places to eat, including a new Italian, two new Indians and a Kurdish restaurant.
- After the usual speedy sound check Phil and I went for an Indian and a few drinks in the pub over the road.
- Several pubs, two chippies - well, this is the North-East, after all - and three or four restaurants including a rather posh Indian and a darn good Italian.
- Last Saturday night we went for an Indian, recommended by another Indian, Amit.
2American Indianindígena feminineindio masculineindia feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.