In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of India)indiohindú Criticized
- Such a struggle will find a powerful response from the urban and rural masses in Sri Lanka, in the Indian sub-continent as a whole and internationally.
- Newspapers published by Indian communities flourish everywhere, and they invariably carry a section with matrimonial ads.
- Pakistan described the Indian proposal as old and unworkable.
- There is never a dull moment in the great Indian sub-continent, is there?
- Bangladesh and Indian border troops exchanged fire Thursday for the second straight day as tension rose on the entire border of the two countries.
- There are two sources of native borrowing: the Canadian Indian languages such as Cree, Dene, and Ojibwa, and Inuktitut, the language of the Inuit or Eskimo.
- The top link of the food chain in this region belongs to the polar bears and the Inuit Indian people who are indigenous to this world of ice and cold.
- Much of the land along rivers above Klamath Lake was former Indian allotment land.
- A spokesman for Pakistan further enraged Indian opinion by answering that India may have staged the attack upon itself.
- Born at Shongopovi, Second Mesa, on the Hopi Indian reservation, Tewanima chased jackrabbits as a boy.
- Persia, now Iran, was once a vast empire stretching from Egypt and the Danube to the Indian sub-continent.
- After the success of its gridiron coverage, Channel 4 turned its attentions to the subcontinent and the ancient Indian discipline kabaddi.
- The Cherokee War consisted of three campaigns from South Carolina against the Cherokee Indian nations.
- The families of many of the Asian youth who were involved in the disturbances had originally come to the UK from the Indian sub-continent to work in the mills.
- Richard Gott writes on the deepening rebellion sweeping through Latin America and the key role played by indigenous Indian peoples
- The exposition is the first one to take Indian designers to Pakistan.
- Derick operated his first projector at the age of 10, and apart from 20 years as a bingo hall manager on the edge of Indian reservations in America, has been a slave to the silver screen.
- Much of the frontier became ‘civilized’ at the cost of shrinking Seminole lands and desecrating Indian burial mounds.
- The British never solved the problems that had caused the war, nor did they develop a consistent Indian policy for North America.
- And Muslim Pakistan still occupies Indian territory in Kashmir that it seized by force in 1948.
- In this context, it is critical to review the bitter experience of the masses in the Indian sub-continent, particularly in India and Sri Lanka.
- And it has endured; it is already specifically Indian and forms the basis of modern Indian culture.
- It does not, however, seem to have come out of the Indian sub-continent, where so many Greek, Latin, European and Slavonic words are sourced.
- At their peak around 1492, the Indian population of North America had long been transforming the forest for agriculture and hunting.
- For the Oneida Nation, Indian gaming is about self-sufficiency and concern for the seventh generation.
- That vast country has over a million troops on the ready after rebels thought to be from Pakistan attacked an Indian army camp in Kashmir.
- Both the Sumu and Miskito languages are derived from the Chibchan Indian language family of South America.
- He has witnessed weddings featuring lone pipers, ladies' choirs and even a Sioux Indian ceremony for an American couple wishing to reflect their roots.
- Ironically, as hard and grueling as this brutal old Indian game is, lacrosse retained a reputation as sort of polo without the ponies.
- Is the idea that this may become a breakthrough for Indian film in America, dragging India's Bollywood film culture into modern day?
- This Indian Territory was where eastern Indian tribes such as the Kickapoos, Delawares, and Shawnees lived.
- Despite fears of a war, many observers believe, however, that a concerted Indian attack on Pakistan is unlikely.
- The extent of nationalist mobilization also differs amongst the various Indian tribes in America.
- Many were genre scenes showing everyday Indian life featuring teepees and mounted warriors in traditional costume.
- This pressure led the police to deport even Indian nationals to Bangladesh.
- As with most Indian tribes in North America the lives of the Apache were destroyed as their life-blood, the buffalo were slaughtered by the whites.
- Batista has visited six tribes, sleeping in their housing eating meals with them and relaying to them the teachings of his Carib Indian grandmother.
- It is no coincidence that these countries are among the poorest on the planet and include Sudan, Ethiopia, Senegal, Afghanistan and parts of the Indian sub-continent.
- The city's large Asian population makes it is easier to integrate refugees from the Indian sub-continent including Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- Through Black Elk Speaks, the Great Vision helped stimulate a revival of Indian spirituality throughout North America.
1(person from India)indio masculineindia femininehindú Criticized
2Britishinformal(food, meal)comida india femininecomida hindú feminine Criticized
3American Indianindígenaindio masculineindia feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.