In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The intertwining branches cast many flickering shadows on the floor of the forest, as the ground itself was etched in Indian ink.
- The reliability of carbon particles from India ink as markers of cell expansion was an early concern in this study.
- The psalm is written in India ink, the oldest ink known to mankind.
- Be aware that India ink, a permanent dye, is nothing more than carbon black mixed into a solvent medium.
- We used the same ‘palette’ as they did, although we substituted India ink, compressed charcoal, newspaper, manila, conte, gesso and other materials to create our collages with mixed media.
- The newly-lit lights revealed the room as circular with a winding maze pattern painted in black Indian ink on the marble floor.
- In one of them made after 1815 the drawings are in India ink wash and are on a larger scale than in the others.
- And I got this idea that I would use India ink on acetate and make a brush-stroke, because the acetate kind of repels the ink.
- The tiny streamers are made of Tyvek, a fibrous, water-resistant paper, along with sailcloth, India ink, colored gels and pieces of metal.
- He published his books in samizdat, adorning them with India ink drawings.
- The student applies black India ink with a small paintbrush to the 1/8-inch line or narrow space between the blocks of oil pastel.
- To emphasize their details and three-dimensional quality, as well as to give them an attractive patina, the suits of armor were painted with black India ink.
- If you are using a modern ink, beware of pure Indian ink - this is far ‘blacker’ than most of the early medieval inks.
- Like a drawing in India ink of the whispering of wind in the pines, the secrets of Judo can only be suggested.
- Her thin and narrow face was framed in short curls of black hair, irregular as though they were outlined in pen-strokes upon a wash-drawing in Indian ink.
- But there are also very fine monotone drawings in Indian ink, and other mediums, of Bulgaria.
- It contains a highly pigmented India ink that is both acid-free and archival.
- When the blood was examined under the microscope a few minutes after the intravenous injection of India ink, distinct black particles of carbon were seen floating among the blood corpuscles.
- He used materials such as soft pastels, oil pastels, watercolor pencils and India ink, among others.
- The works on paper have been done using Indian ink, acrylic, paint and wax.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.