In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This odd little book weighs collective ideology against individualism, caricaturing both.
- This, he felt, helped foster the importance placed on rugged individualism and independence that still imbues many discussions of southern values.
- German history in the Middle Ages was strongly influenced by two opposing principles: universalism and individualism.
- The philosophical roots of both individualism and collectivism are the same.
- This is self evident, given his adherence to those great left wing principles; individualism, the free-market, starving workers and torture.
- However, the belief in the reality of a mental substance was part of the rhetoric of the theory of individualism, not the discovery of that reality.
- At the same time, the ideology of individualism, freedom and choice had been becoming increasingly prevalent.
- Very little individualism and original thought.
- Or is it also about a state of mind that is only possible because of Western individualism, egalitarianism, freedom of choice and civil institutions and rights?
- I'm sure there is just as much individuality and individualism among black people as there is among Caucasians.
- To win, the Left needs to discredit and defeat the very idea of capitalism, individualism, and personal freedom.
- It attacks those who emphasise individualism and individual rights.
- Moreover, industry research indicates that the youth market is looking for individualism - and finding it in denim.
- The program teaches individualism, leadership, and self-confidence.
- The common thread that binds Americans stems from their individualism, self-reliance, independence, courage to take risks and readiness to challenge the impossible.
- One set of beliefs expresses the commitment of a democratic society to the liberal values of justice, individualism, egalitarianism and freedom of expression.
- The authors identified individualism and communalism as the two core values in American society.
- She considers her independence and individualism to be both positive and negative.
- I'm really glad British individualism is now being cultivated more than ever before.
- Actually there is a deep relationship between these apparently contradictory stances: individualistic nationalism and national individualism.
- Futhermore, the scientific revolution was greatly influenced by the combination - and exaltation - of the principles of individualism and rationality.
- What does a country built on headstrong individualism and the myth of self-reliance do with its people convinced that they know best?
- And Scandinavians are almost 100% Protestant too - which fits with a spirit of independence and individualism.
- This is a vital strategy for combating individualism and restoring social capital.
- Authoritative parents respect children's individualism while insisting they meet reasonable requirements.
- Under the heading ‘liberty’ the charter states: ‘We believe in individualism more than social determinism.’
- Here we see Heidegger critically pointing the finger at Nietzsche for his radical individualism, which equated freedom with a solitude that denied our worldly contextuality.
- Not a millimetre of individualism or personality was in evidence.
- What about individualism, capitalism, democracy, scientific rationalism, technical inventiveness - the supposed special features of European value-systems?
- Self-reliance and individualism can be made meaningful for all only by first reviving the power of collective action.
- He will likely go from strength to strength as an independent MSP in a parliament where individualism is seen as a political virtue.
- All the normal libertarian yakyak about individualism and personal responsibility was on display.
- The virtues of individualism and self-reliance seemed compromised in a world of corporate power and urban throngs.
- These can be tentatively related to their respective contexts: class in Britain versus American democracy; interest in the social whole versus individualism.
- This movement is showing a sustainable and very concrete economic path based on principles of collectivism and not individualism.
- Slim fits, cropped styles, kimono prints or cuts re-interpret individualism as eccentric.
- The original Western nineteenth-century route to modernization was associated with laissez-faire capitalism, individualism, and democracy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.