In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was different from its usual role of supporting a motorised infantry battalion.
- He had spent 23 years in the Marine Corps infantry and felt it was his duty to help.
- Jason Burke spent a week on patrol with the US infantry and reservists trying to win hearts and minds.
- Tanks attacked first with infantry literally in tow as many tanks pulled along infantry soldiers on sledges.
- Then there were the marine corps and army infantry who waded ashore or were landed by air on island after island.
- This elite force consisted of nine regiments, six of cavalry and three of infantry.
- Is this, therefore, a time to reduce any infantry battalions let alone four?
- They were offered first one infantry battalion, the one based on Cyprus, and then another.
- He was transferred to the Paratroop regiment and received infantry training just before war broke out.
- Haig has been criticised by some for his belief in the simple advance of infantry troops on enemy lines.
- The traditional infantry soldier is somebody you hang things on and then ask him to do the impossible.
- The force now included around a battalion of infantry as well as a squadron of military engineers.
- Under the plans the number of infantry battalions across the country will be cut from 40 to 36.
- It makes great sense to re-role some normal infantry battalions into this role and I hope it happens.
- The infantry battle was finely balanced, both sides fighting bravely hand-to-hand.
- How can the disbandment of four infantry battalions do anything but worsen the situation?
- When I was a kid, high walled fortifications were virtually impenetrable to infantry or cavalry.
- This may explain why British troops did not join American infantry in the march to Baghdad.
- Not according to a friend of mine who is a logistics specialist with an elite British infantry regiment.
- There she found a unit of infantry soldiers who were also without a commanding officer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.