In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He meant, I imagined, that they were sacrilegious infidels.
- Particular emphasis is placed on not recognizing the holy days or national observances of the infidels.
- It does not believe that there are pagans and infidels waiting to be converted to a particular system of beliefs and ideas or a race of the damned waiting to be saved.
- Churches were running out of room, and infidels begged the religious community to pray to their God to save them.
- So it was not only the scoffing of infidels which spread the conviction that the religious life of France needed comprehensive reform.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.