In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This page presents examples of sounds recorded by a variety of infrasound recording systems.
- Laser weapons, isotropic radiators, infrasound, non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse generators, and high-power microwave emitters have been mentioned.
- Loud infrasound in the range of 0.5 to 10 Hz is sufficient to activate the vestibular, or balance system, in the inner ear.
- When snow rushes down mountains, it pushes air before it and creates infrasound at frequencies below 8 Hz.
- By using infrasound to attack the gums of the teeth, the invisible personnel can loosen the victim's teeth and cause them drop out.
- Other research has shown that infrasound around this frequency can cause nausea, fear and panic.
- It now becomes clear that prolonged exposure to man-made infrasound and ultrasound has similar effects via apparently similar physiological mechanisms.
- The answer, Zuckerwar explains, is that each one generates silent infrasound - long sound waves at a frequency below 20 hertz.
- It's clear that elephants, for example, probably use infrasound but it's really difficult to appreciate that or even to measure it because it's not a sensory area which we can really access very readily.
- In the meantime, I found an interesting story that claims a scientific explanation for ghostly events and feelings of unease - infrasound.
- As a result, paranormal researchers have been looking for infrasound in haunted locations since.
- Subsequent field research revealed that infrasound plays a significant role in coordinating complex elephant societies over great distances.
- The big brother of ultrasound, infrasound means frequencies too low to be heard by the human ear.
- It is an established fact that sustained low intensity infrasound alters human behavior and health.
- Animals such as elephants also use infrasound to communicate over long distances or as weapons to repel foes.
- The feelings that the listeners recorded at the time are in line with anecdotal evidence of experiences in places that have infrasound.
- This was enough information to encourage us all to unleash infrasound on an audience.
- Another source of infrasound is the wind passing under a loosely fitting door into an enclosed space.
- Now infrasound monitoring has re-emerged in importance due to the number of countries that may be capable of developing nuclear weapons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.