In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For competing athletes, the concept is simple: win your discipline at five of the seven Golden League events and share a jackpot of 50 kg of gold ingots.
- However, the rolling machinery that turned slabs of steel into plates and ingots was the main source of accidents in which men were caught in machinery.
- Sheffield plate was discovered in 1742 by Thomas Boulsover, who was able to fuse sheets of sterling silver onto copper ingots.
- The basic form of processed gold is gold bullion, and ingots or bars of bullion would be used for very large transactions.
- In some southern areas of China they are made in the shape of the gold and silver ingots (yuan bao) that were used as money in ancient China; this augurs good fortune as well as good eating.
- For these reasons acid steel is considered better than basic for certain purposes, such as large forging ingots and ball bearing steel.
- Lodge cast-iron is made from ‘pig-iron ingot and scrap steel converted back into iron.’
- The steel is cast in ingots, and the ingots are rolled on a slabbing mill or a blooming mill into slabs or sheet bars.
- The result is that Cuba's territorial waters are a treasure diver's dream, covering fortunes in Spanish gold and silver, ingots, coins and jewellery.
- According to sources in the industry, the prices of steel ingots have come down to Rs 23,000 from Rs 24,500.
- Copper and steel ingots can be found, though no longer in any quantity.
- Silver processing was taking place on the site and the bulk of the silver objects are ingots, rather than chopped up brooch-pins or arm rings.
- The large vessels travelled long distances in the Mediterranean, conveying large cargoes of wine and oil in amphorae and other bulk products, such as metal ingots or fine pottery.
- During the 1849 California gold rush, they began trading gold ingots.
- Oscillator was then placed over the plate and a number of mild steel ingots were placed on the top of the oscillator to provide required static weight.
- A bit farther on, glowing one-ton ingots of steel thunder down rollers to be pressed into thin sheets.
- The first form of Sheffield Plate was arrived at by binding, with a brass wire, an ingot of silver to an ingot of copper which was hardened with about 25 percent brass alloy.
- They were astonished to find stacks of gold ingots higher than their heads and reported this to their superiors.
- The king has a rich treasure of coins and gold ingots.
- A mere 17 gold bars, 30 silver ingots and 14,929 sovereigns were unaccounted for.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.