In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If they got running water to all these buildings that are obviously inhabitable, they could get the city cleaned up a lot faster.
- This was a perfectly nice Polish neighborhood before you guys decided to move in, open up your hip bars, and generally make the area more inhabitable for the Yuppies.
- More recently, Mars has been featured on film as a volatile future colony in Total Recall and a bizarrely inhabitable terrain in Red Planet.
- She bought it in 2000 for about £235,000, when it was still heated by a back boiler and scarcely inhabitable by today's standards.
- The house itself was built around 1750AD and the Friars of the Corpus Friary lived there after the Friary itself became inhabitable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.