In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1herida feminineto receive/sustain an injury — recibir/sufrir una herida
- injuries to the hands and face — heridas en manos y cara
- internal/head injuries — heridas internas/en la cabeza
- an injury to sb's pride/reputation — un agravio al orgullo/a la reputación de algn
- He suffered injuries to his head and face and is now scared of returning to the scene.
- On Wednesday of this week he underwent surgery as a result of injuries sustained at the club.
- The hurt or injury need not be serious or permanent but must be more than trifling or transient.
- Carey has had a recurrence of an ankle injury which has severely limited his training.
- So shocking is this injury, in fact, that there are fears over the player's career.
- It is feared the man will not walk again because of the severe spinal injuries he suffered.
- She says she is still shaken up and suffered injuries to the face, neck and shoulders.
- Andrew was given 10 stitches, and was left with severe headaches as a result of the injury.
- Ashford Hospital is able to treat minor injuries resulting from mishaps such as yours.
- Successive goals in his first two appearances for the club were followed by an injury in his third start.
- I also had suspected brain damage and a spine injury, so I had lots of different scans.
- I take no responsibility for any death or injuries as a result of trying this at home.
- He suffered leg and back injuries as he fell to the ground when the vehicle crashed into a hedge.
- There were no reports of damage or injuries, and the earthquake did not trigger a tsunami.
- Moreover, that failure was the very breach of duty which the plaintiff alleges caused her injury.
- My injury was the result of a gentle run through University Parks yesterday afternoon.
- They both walked out of the hospital with minor injuries hours after the shooting.
- The driver of the skip lorry was taken to Hope Hospital with minor leg injuries.
- The driver stopped the vehicle and had to receive hospital treatment for his injuries.
- There are no reports of such an injury resulting in any damage to a pregnant woman.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.