In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sea Scouting insignia was initially developed by Kimo Wilder, Chief Seascout from 1916-23.
- The following links provide images of the rank insignias as they were worn by both the Union and Confederate armies.
- Appropriate use of the name and insignias can benefit all, while inappropriate use may reflect negatively on both the institution and its individual members.
- The US system of rank badges and insignia, introduced in the early 19th century, is highly distinctive, and instructive.
- His was the largest retinue in England and he promoted the use of badges and insignia, the most familiar being the Lancastrian collar of esses.
- Regimental top brass are insisting that if it happens, the Duke's must retain the insignia and badges as well as their name.
- A large number centered on war themes, such as army-cap badges, national flags, and military insignia.
- It is enough that he is clothed with the insignia of the office, and exercises its powers and functions…
- Henry VIII dropped the wolfhound and replaced it with a lion, thus making the royal insignia less Welsh.
- Human Rights Watch found that the militias use Sudanese military weapons, insignia and chain of command.
- There are other Scouters whom have provided me with scans of square knot insignia as well as other items.
- I'm less clear about the distinctions of rank and insignia on the other side of the great divide between officers and enlisted men.
- These liveries came to be distinguished by heraldic insignia and emblems.
- He noticed my military insignia and asked if I was going to Saudi Arabia for the Gulf War.
- Masonic symbolism features prominently in many governments and military insignias.
- What is the significance of the ribbons, insignia and medals?
- She motioned them to come inside, noting the rank insignia on their collars.
- In a combat uniform the Navy rank insignia would not be noticeable except at extremely close range.
- Ramirez stood up easily in his military uniform, no insignia giving his rank.
- She adjusted the insignia that marked her rank before leaving the mirror.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.