In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(appointed official)inspector masculineinspectora femininemasculine inspectorfeminine inspectoraticket inspector — revisora feminine Spain
- (in UK) Inspector of Taxes — inspector de Hacienda (or de la Dirección General Impositiva etc.)
2(police officer)inspector (de policía) masculineinspectora (de policía) feminine
- The inspector at Melksham police station is to move on after nearly two years in the role.
- A police inspector was arrested while on duty for alleged drink driving, a court heard.
- A police inspector had heard shouting, slaps and yelps through an open window and found the injured dog in bloody sheets of newspaper inside the house.
- The Kanagawa police inspectors were there as Frankie Furukawa entered the room.
- More than a third of police inspectors are performing high-risk roles with no training for the job, a survey has revealed.
- Following the stories and letters in the Citizen regarding taxis using bus lanes I have met with a police inspector and the truth appears to be emerging.
- In 1853 he joined the Victoria police and served as inspector and superintendent in various goldfield towns.
- It's hard for me to imagine such a person holding a job as a cashier, much less a police inspector.
- The police inspector in charge of the operation owned up that his job was to calculate the number of officers used according to the rates set by the government.
- The problem was that she was the wife of a police inspector.
- A police inspector standing nearby saw what was happening but did not intervene to help the plaintiff restrain the prisoner.
- Senior police inspectors come and hug him affectionately all along the route.
- Back in the police station, the inspector slapped Baig many times and pushed him around.
- I had a close friend who was a police inspector in Manchester, another who was with the dog unit in Merseyside.
- Mrs King is being supported by her husband Simon, a police inspector with Wiltshire Constabulary, who is also a seasoned runner.
- He claimed that a police inspector who arrived at the scene made racist remarks about the victim.
- The next day a police inspector interrupted his speech to inform him that he was contravening a by-law by speaking in the square.
- An inspector and several other police officers get out and stand in the middle of the road.
- The BJP government took direct control of the postings and transfer of police inspectors.
- ‘One of the prints we have found is yours,’ a Strathclyde Police detective inspector told her.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.