In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(appointed official)inspector masculineinspectora femininemasculine inspectorfeminine inspectoraticket inspector — Transport revisor masculine US Spain
- (in UK) Inspector of Taxes — inspector de Hacienda (or de la Dirección General Impositiva etc.)
2(police officer)inspector (de policía) masculineinspectora (de policía) feminine
- A police inspector standing nearby saw what was happening but did not intervene to help the plaintiff restrain the prisoner.
- Following the stories and letters in the Citizen regarding taxis using bus lanes I have met with a police inspector and the truth appears to be emerging.
- In 1853 he joined the Victoria police and served as inspector and superintendent in various goldfield towns.
- Back in the police station, the inspector slapped Baig many times and pushed him around.
- Senior police inspectors come and hug him affectionately all along the route.
- More than a third of police inspectors are performing high-risk roles with no training for the job, a survey has revealed.
- I had a close friend who was a police inspector in Manchester, another who was with the dog unit in Merseyside.
- ‘One of the prints we have found is yours,’ a Strathclyde Police detective inspector told her.
- The police inspector in charge of the operation owned up that his job was to calculate the number of officers used according to the rates set by the government.
- The Kanagawa police inspectors were there as Frankie Furukawa entered the room.
- An inspector and several other police officers get out and stand in the middle of the road.
- A police inspector was arrested while on duty for alleged drink driving, a court heard.
- Mrs King is being supported by her husband Simon, a police inspector with Wiltshire Constabulary, who is also a seasoned runner.
- A police inspector had heard shouting, slaps and yelps through an open window and found the injured dog in bloody sheets of newspaper inside the house.
- It's hard for me to imagine such a person holding a job as a cashier, much less a police inspector.
- He claimed that a police inspector who arrived at the scene made racist remarks about the victim.
- The inspector at Melksham police station is to move on after nearly two years in the role.
- The next day a police inspector interrupted his speech to inform him that he was contravening a by-law by speaking in the square.
- The problem was that she was the wife of a police inspector.
- The BJP government took direct control of the postings and transfer of police inspectors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.