In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- My offence, so far as I could tell, was to show insufficient respect to cabinet ministers.
- That was arguably too prescriptive and pedagogic with insufficient human interest.
- So far there has been insufficient evidence to link financially any of the visits to a particular member.
- Anything less and he would have insufficient time to settle into the job.
- In military terms, striking at insurgents and terrorists is necessary but insufficient.
- The only complaint about the Royal Bolton is insufficient parking facilities!
- It's caused by an insufficient level of insulin, a glucose regulating hormone.
- However a review document produced by the group warns that current funding is insufficient.
- Tough laws are insufficient to find a solution to such a terrible scourge.
- The report found many examples of good work but said insufficient priority was being given to the issue.
- These causes might be anything from insufficient training to inadequate technology.
- However, that leaves insufficient time to organise live coverage for Saturday.
- He was charged with murder in 1997 but the case was dropped due to insufficient evidence.
- Greig added that some minor roads in rural areas might have to be shut down if there are insufficient funds to fix them.
- Now they have been informed that beds are available but staffing levels are insufficient to take him.
- It strikes me as incredible that insufficient thought and planning was given to such a major activity.
- It is thought the amount of smoke created would also have been insufficient to cause the man's death.
- The plant could then be converted for other uses, seeing as there is insufficient demand for Rover cars.
- I think the amount of police officers is insufficient, I think we need loads more.
- Have houses prices too low, and there'll be insufficient investment in the area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.